Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2010 14:00

BSOF Kernel?

Hi
I bought an Inspire 1564 2 months ago. I have had some BSOF when I shut it down and when I left it for a few minutes. Explorer.exe crashed constantly when I tried to copy big files and I have also had some trouble with my wireless network card.

2 days ago I decided to restore it to factory settings,to try to fix this, but when I was setting up programs and such, I still had some problems with the system so I dl some anti-malware program wich found 2 things in my system. I quarantined them  and restarted as recommended but I then I got BSOF in the startup. I thought "reset to factory settings" would put it back to the state I got it in but it did not change anything.It always crashes in the startup with this blue screen.So now I cant reach those quarantined files and my system is, as far as I know, unrecoverable unless there is some way to fix this.

I think I have tried everything that that is recomented on this page for this error. I have tried some memory tests and all the test I have found in the repair setup, along with the tests on the disk that came with the computer.I have tried to change the bios settings, and to run the chkdsk /f/r command but nothing works.

That BSOF is 00x7b but I never managed to see those first ones.

What more can I do?

Is the HDD broken?

Could it have been some kernel file? and if so, are they running from the factory settings partition and not recoverable?

If I manually install Windows, does it affect my warranty in any way?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 18:00

PCRestore should have reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it.

Si it's possible you have a hardware probelm. Exactly what does the BSOD say?

Ron

6 Posts

November 4th, 2010 05:00

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you,ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer.Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.

Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

November 4th, 2010 11:00

Did you somehow change the BIOS setting for SATA Operation? This message is frequently caused when the SATA mode is set incorrectly.

Read this from Microsoft. Assuming this is Win 7 or Vista, their "Fix-It" button on that page may solve the problem for you.

Ron

6 Posts

November 4th, 2010 14:00

I checked it after this all happened and after reading notes about blue screen errors in your solution center and that was the first time I opened the settings for the BIOS.

The SATA controller configuration in the system BIOS If the SATA controller gets toggled from ATA to AHCI mode (or vice versa), then Windows will not be able to talk to the SATA controller because the different modes require different drivers. Try toggling the SATA controller mode in the BIOS.

I am running win7 thats right, but I can´t run this fix since I can only get to command prompt and it it .msi.

I am wondering if it could have been msahci.sys that was deleted by the malware program?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

November 4th, 2010 17:00

When you run BIOS setup, what options do you see for SATA Operation? Can you choose one that's not AHCI?

You can also try rebooting and pressing F8 during the POST. See if there's a Repair option on that menu. You'll need your Win 7 DVD. If no Repair option there, try booting from the Win 7 DVD directly and see if you can find a Repair option there.

I suppose it's possible msahci.sys got guarantined by that malware program. Or maybe msachci got corrupted by the virus it detected.

Ron

6 Posts

November 4th, 2010 18:00

Well I think I have already done all of those, but when I change the SATA operation from AHCI into ATA the BSOD still comes up but instead of

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I get:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

But here is some information I also got from startup repair but forgot, maybe it tells you something.

Problem Event Name:    StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 21200836

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 5

Problem Signature 07: FailureDuringSetup

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Also I found this on a another forum , something that you would reccomend?

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/b7129bd4-abf5-44e8-b136-9d9bb9a22c60

Sign In to Vote

Normally would not reccomend this as if the virus is still in the OS you may be able to boot but you will still have a virus infected system.

How to repair and reboot to Windows 7:

a) Insert the Windows 7 System Repair DVD or Installation DVD and reboot.

b) Select the correct keyboard input method and click ‘Next’.

Note: If you are using the Windows7 Install DVD then at the 'Install Now' prompt (Do not pick the Install Now option) instead choose the 'Repair your computer' option located in the lower left of the dispay.

c) The System Repair tool will search for a valid operating system and will report that “Windows found problems with your computer’s startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?”

d) Click ‘Repair and restart’ and reboot again to the Windows 7 System Repair environment.

e) Click ‘Next’ at the keyboard selection prompt and when the ‘System Recovery Options’ screen appears verify that the “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows” is selected.
Note that on your Dual Boot system there now should be only one operating system listed. Click the ‘Next’ button.

f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

h) Close the command prompt window and click the ‘Startup Repair’ option.

i) The repair process may take some time, so wait until the process completes at which point you will see two messages “Windows cannot repair this computer automatically” and “Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically”.

These messages are the result of the radical changes made by removing the other drive. Ignore the Send/Don’t send options.

J) Close this message window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the Send/Don’t send window. Next click on the ‘View advanced options for system recovery and support’ option and from the main menu once again click ‘Startup Repair’. This time the repair process may only that a few seconds and when prompted “Startup Repair could not detect a problem”, click ‘Finish’  and run the ‘Startup Repair’ option one more time, click ‘Finish’, and then remove the System Repair DVD and click ‘Restart’.  Reboot the computer.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

November 4th, 2010 20:00

It's still a 7B stop error, so there's a problem recognizing/using the hard drive.  I suppose it's possible the hard drive failed, so you may need to contact Dell Tech Support about replacing it under warranty.

If you follow the instructions from that other forum you'll permanently loose access to PC Restore so I wouldn't recommend that, at least not now.

Boot from the Win 7 DVD and run the repair from there. If that fails, you may have to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install of Win 7. And if that fails, contact Dell and tell them to replace the drive.

Ron

6 Posts

November 5th, 2010 14:00

when you say Win 7 DVD you problably don´t mean the Dell resource CD that I have been using, thinking it was the Win 7 :)

Where am I supposed to get the DVD?

At least I ran all the tests on that cd.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

November 5th, 2010 20:00

If the system came with Win 7 pre-installed by Dell and you're in the US, try contacting Dell here to request the Win 7 Reinstallation disk (maybe it's a CD, not a DVD?).

Ron

6 Posts

November 6th, 2010 16:00

I managed to reinstall windows with a win 7 DVD. Everything works great now so I suppose it must have been that missing file.

Thank you for your excellent help.

Regards

Jakob

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

November 6th, 2010 18:00

:emotion-21:

No Events found!