voss
2 Iron

Backup Utility

I would like to install the Backup Utility for XP-Home Edition, but there is no Windows XP Home CD-ROM with my computer. There is a Dell Reinstallation CD for XP-Home, but won't this erase the hard drive? Where do I get the Backup Utility?

Thanks
0 Kudos
13 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Backup Utility

The reinstallation CD is the same as the Windows XP CD-ROM.  It won't erase the hard drive drive unless you tell it to.  Note that you should be able to install the Backup utilitiy by going to Control Panel - Add Remove Programs - Windows Components.  If it needs the CD, it will ask for it.

Steve

0 Kudos
Denny Denham
6 Thallium

voss,

The procedure for installing MS Backup is given here.

0 Kudos
voss
2 Iron

The Dell Reinstallation CD says that it WILL ERASE the hard drive, so I am afraid to even put it in the computer. Has anyone tried this, just to install the Backup Utility? Using the Inspiron 8100.

Thanks
0 Kudos
gryjhnhpe
4 Germanium

@voss wrote:
The Dell Reinstallation CD says that it WILL ERASE the hard drive, so I am afraid to even put it in the computer. Has anyone tried this, just to install the Backup Utility? Using the Inspiron 8100.

Thanks

Where does it say "WILL ERASE". ?

To manually install Backup:

Insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD into the CD or DVD drive.
Click Perform additional tasks.
Click Browse this CD.
Click Value Add.
Click MSFT.
Click NTBackup.
Click NT Back installer.
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation of the backup utility.

After installation use Start >All Programs >Accessories >System Tools >Backup

DELL 2600 Laptop
XP SP1
Home Edition
256 Mb RAM 18GB Hard Drive
Dial up Modem 56Kb

0 Kudos
Denny Denham
6 Thallium

voss,

The reinstallation CD will do nothing until you tell it to. When you insert the CD you should see a menu. At the lower left is a button maked "Exit." Click that button and the menu screen will disappear. Another option available is to hold down the Shift key when you insert the CD and no menu will appear at all.

Now open Windows Explorer and follow the steps to install Microsoft Backup.

0 Kudos
voss
2 Iron

Thanks to everyone, I have installed the Backup Utility! But can I use it to backup my e-mail in Outlook Express? If so, how?

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
gryjhnhpe
4 Germanium

They are *.dbx files do a Search for *.dbx to find file , Folder to Backup.

DELL 2600 Laptop
XP SP1
Home Edition
256 Mb RAM 18GB Hard Drive
Dial up Modem 56Kb

0 Kudos
WillyTee
2 Iron

If you want to back up OE this is much better. And Free.

http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

0 Kudos
Miki Jo
2 Iron

I'm trying to follow your directions for installing backup utility. I have Dimension 2400, Windows XP home edition, and have installed service pack 2 couple of months ago. You stated that after putting in the reinstallation CD, one should go to Windows Explorer. Since i purchased this computer, i have never been able to find Windows Explorer in the Program Files!! Is there another path i can follow?

Thank you.

0 Kudos