Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2004 05:00

Better alternative to Windows Media Player

I'm looking for an alternative to Windows Media Player. Something that will work with media files on the internet as Media Player does. Any ideas? Is Real Player any good, I see that most web sites offer to play clips in that format also.

Thanks,

Mike

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 5th, 2004 09:00

Mike, I avoid RealOne (realplayer).  That program is on the list of "ill behaving" software.  I had it on my old PC (I won't instlal it on my new PC, although I do have an older RealPlayer version) due it wanting to "take over".  Even after manually configuring it for what I wanted it to do it still "took over" as my media player and installed spyware on the PC and kept trying to access the internet (but I stopped it with my firewall).  Quicktime is in the same category. 

I use MusicMatch Jukebox for my audio media player and have the registered Plus version.  It has CD burning capability (but I use Roxio) and even "line in" recording and streaming audio recording (record "what you hear" on the speakers).

WinAmp is a popular media player but I've run into a couple of customer's PC's with system problems and even CD burning problems that were apparently caused by WinAmp, as soon as I uninstalled WinAmp the various problems went away.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 5th, 2004 10:00

Mike:

Of course, the whole reason MS got in trouble with the EC--to the tune of $600 million, was it?--was because there are few alternatives to WMP, and when it comes already installed, who's going to go looking for alternatives, right?

I use an older version of Real Player, and I'm very careful about how I load and configure it, disabling the tray icon, auto-update features, etc. I also use MM JB and find it a great audio player, CD-ripper and internet radio applications. I use it as my default player for CDs, MP3s and internet radio. I have not used WinAmp, but my son uses it for many types of audio and likes it a lot.

For video, there are fewer choices.

771 Posts

June 5th, 2004 11:00

I found RealOne Player to have some serious bugs.  For example, it was deleting my Windows XP Restore Points.  However, I haven't encountered that problem or noticed any major glitches since upgrading to RealPlayer 10. 

I use all the major media programs (QuickTime, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player) because many websites require one specific program to play their videos or audio clips.  For example, to watch news videos at www.bbc.com, you must have RealPlayer installed.

419 Posts

June 5th, 2004 12:00

Thanks to all of you for your time and effort. Currently, I have Windows Media Player 9 and don't like where it's going with it's DRM. I've recorded some TV shows and wanted to stream them through my network to another location, only to find WMP putting a "halt" to viewing the video clips. I then used my DVD software and it worked.

I do have MMJB plus and like it for the most part, but for streaming video off the internet, there are indeed few choices.

What I'd probably need to do is revert back to Windows Media Player 8, which wasn't as bad and allows streaming through my newtwork. Unfortunately, my newer computer came preloaded with version 9. Is there a way to completely remove it and a place to dowmload version 8?

Many thanks once again,

Mike

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 5th, 2004 16:00

Mike:

With XP, there's no way to go back. I'm completely with you on the DRM issue, though.

1.4K Posts

June 6th, 2004 02:00

Mike

Here's a link to previous versions of WMP. You can check them out here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

593 Posts

June 6th, 2004 15:00

I've never had any DRM issues but have always turned off this option anyways (it's mine, let me do what I want with it!).  If you go into Tools>Options, under the 'copy music' tab there is a check box labeled 'copy protect digital music'.  Maybe if you clear that checkbox and then bring all your videos back into your media library, that will let you stream them?

Just a guess

409 Posts

June 6th, 2004 16:00

An alternative, jetAudio,  is supposed to play Real and QuickTime files as well as wav, mp3 etc. http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

Message Edited by oldtraveler on 06-06-2004 12:52 PM

419 Posts

June 6th, 2004 17:00

Thanks for the additional replies. As far as Jetaudio basic, I'm still investigating. Reviews like this aren't comforting, though:

"Puts DRM on your computer
I am currently using earlier version and was hoping the new version might have more flexability in tag editing so I down loaded it. For some unknown reason I scrolled through the license agreement (something I usualy skip) and at the bottom found a paragraph stating that it installs Microsoft DRM on your computer. It then needs to access the internet and download a license before it will play the song. "

It's not that I have illegal music or video, I just want a product that works for ME not the "industry". I'm disgusted with all this "Big Brother bull..."

Mike

Message Edited by patchsassy on 06-06-2004 02:53 PM

85 Posts

June 9th, 2004 16:00

The media player that I use doesn't have a plugin (yet) for internet, but plays anything I have thrown at it.  Ironically it is an idea based off of a program called GraphEdit.

Give "Media Player Classic" (http://www.doom9.org under software) a test drive.  It's rather basic, but plays lots of stuff and is FreeWare without ads.  The few downsides are no playlists, or visualizations.

It does the job without the frills.

Cheers!

No Events found!