Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2008 17:00

Blu-Ray, Bios Updates, Advice?

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 DXP061 that I've been trying to update to play Blu-Ray HD disks. So far I've had nothing but problems and, truthfully, the Dell staff has acted a bit confused by the whole thing.

My initial problem was in booting up. Two quick beeps mean keyboard error. The system didn't see the USB keyboard before the POST, so the system would freeze. No problem, just hit F2 and have the system ignore keyboard errors. Only...heh heh...you have to have a keyboard that works to hit F2. So to fix the problem, one had to first fix the problem, as bizarre as that sounds. Bt because there was no serial port for the keyboard, the techie's suggestion to install a standard keyboard was somewhat less than helpful. One would think that this potential problem would occur to someone before sending a system, but no. Those of you with Dell systems with only USB keyboards should do yourself a favor and turn the keyboard error notification off.

Now that I've imparted that advice, let me move on to my Blu-Ray problem. My system is as follows:

Dell DXP061 System

CPU: Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.4
SDRAM: 2Gb DDR2 667MHz
PCI Express Video: Radion 3870 w/512Mb
Blu-Ray DVD: Pioneer BDC-202
Monitor: Dell 21-inch
Operating System: Vista

It's also troublesome that Dell doesn't put model numbers on its monitors. Most companies put the model number on the front of the monitor (which is a great idea, BTW). That way, if someone down the line asks you what kind of a monitor you have, you don't have to say, "It's about this wide and about this tall, and it has a bunch of plugs in the back." Still, the Dell techies, two of 'em, said my monitor would be fine if it was connected to the DVI outlet on my video card. Whether this is true or not is still up in the air.

So now I'm looking for bios updates. Having built all of my computers myself, except this Dimension, I'm surprised to see many people urging against bios upgrades. I've never had a bios upgrade fail and quite often there are a number of improvements that may simply make your system more stable and less problematic.

Anyway, I've never found it as difficult to find a bios upgrade for any of my motherboards as I have for my Dell DXP061. Even before I upgraded my video card to a Radion 3870, Dell's techies said my system should be "fine" for playing high definition movies. Not true. Cyberlink's Blu-Ray Advisor software gave a thumb's down to my previous card (can't recall the model and, of course, it's not identified on the card itself...I think it's a 2300 ATI).

So I'm looking to see if anyone else has been down this road and can tell me what other problems I might run into with installing Blu-Ray into my present system and if I can get a bios update. Alas, it appears that Dell's technical support people are narrowly trained only in Dell's product line and are somewhat lacking in integration of other products with its systems.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

September 5th, 2008 17:00

Its not the ATI 2300 and you wont need a BIOS update. Below is the info i got with my Blu-ray R/W drive:

Systems Requirements for Blu - ray Disc & HD DVD Movie Playback.

Please check the system requirements below for BD/HD DVD movie playback

1. CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.2GHZ or equivalent (Recommended: Core 2 Duo E6300 or higher *1

2. O/S:   Windows XP (Home / Professional /Media Center with SP2/Windows Vista(X86,X64)

3. Ram: 1GB or more

4. HDD: 30GB or more of available space (60GB for Blu-ray Disc authoring)

5. BD/HD movie playback

6. Optical Disc Drive: BD/HD Disc with AACS support

7. Software: Software with BD/HD Movie Playback support

8. Title: BD/HD Disc Movies

Movie Playback Systems Requirements

*1CPU: Following CPU recommended for playing Blu-ray Disc/HD DVD MPEG 4 AVC Title.

-Intel Core Duo: E6300, E6400, E6600, E6700 or higher

*2. Graphic Card: Card with the following GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) recommended.

- nVidia: GeForce 7800 GTX 512 / 7900 GT / 7900 GX2 / 7900 GTX / 7950 GX2

/ 8600 GS / 8600 GTS / 8800 GTX or higher with 256MB min memory

• - ATI: Radeon X1950 / HD2300 / HD2400 / HD2600 with 256 min memory.

*3. Graphic Card Driver shall meet AACS compliance criteria.

*4. HDCP (Higher-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection: Required to view pre-recorded

Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD Disc which are copy protected.

ATI Catalyst 6.6  or above required or nVidia PureVideo Driver required.

There was an Excel chart, but when I tried to copy and paste it into this page, it went everywhere.

Message Edited by RobinBredin on 09-05-2008 01:27 PM

2 Posts

September 6th, 2008 02:00

Thanks for the information. Previously I had an ATI Radeon X1300, not 2300. My monitor also was a 19-inch vice a 21 incher. My list is so rendered below with a check mark (√) beside every component that shouldn't be a problem:

Dell DXP061 System

CPU: Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.4
SDRAM: 2Gb DDR2 667MHz
PCI Express Video: Radion 3870 w/512Mb
Blu-Ray DVD: Pioneer BDC-202
Monitor: Dell 21-inch     Dell 1907FPF  ?
Operating System: Vista

Even with my monitor, I have a digital output, so I should be at least able to see the movie, unless I've misculated someting else. In fact, the monitor is about the only thing it could be.  

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

September 6th, 2008 12:00

Your system information is ok for Blu-ray HD R/W HD DVD playback. The only thing you need to check is your firmware. When I loaded the LG Blu-ray drive I had to update the firmware for it. But again your BIOA should be ok.
No Events found!