Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2012 21:00

Blue Screen Error

I need help.  I have tried system restore, but it did nothing... Problem is as follows:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name:  Blue Screen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.7683

BCCode:  50

BCP1: FFFFF8800DF77000

BCP2: 00000000000000001

BCP3: FFFFFA80085042E6

BCP4: 00000000000000000

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\101012-24382-01.fmp

C:\Users\maurilesette\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-49967-0.sysdata.xml

February 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Mauri,

Please try installing the drivers for 'Intel HD 3000 graphics' before attempting the 'nVidia graphics' driver update.

- You may use the following link to install 'Intel HD' graphic drivers: http://dell.to/YhTjZw
- Follow through with the installation and allow the system to restart.
- Install 'nVidia GeForce GT 525M' driver: http://dell.to/SvIYUm

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA

October 16th, 2012 04:00

Hi maurilesette,

You may experience the 'Blue Screen' error messages due to a hardware or a software issue. I recommend running hardware diagnostics to check for the hardware functionality. You may find the following steps useful:

Try performing the PSA (Pre-Boot System Assessment) using the steps mentioned below:
- Power off the computer
- Power on the system and repeatedly tap key when Dell logo appears
- Select option 'Diagnostics'
- PSA runs a 'quick test' without waiting for user input
- Display screen test message appears 'Were color bars displayed'. If you see the bars, tap
- Capture any error code (if appears)

I would also like to check the issue further by checking the mini dump files. Please follow the steps listed below to search for the 'minidump folder'. We will decode this folder to understand the root cause of the issue that you have been facing:

- Click 'Computer'
- Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump and tap
- Copy all the 'Minidump' folders and paste them to your desktop screen
- Please send these folders to me (I am sending my email address through a private message)
- Let me check the 'Minidump' folder with a debugging tool to see if we get decisive results

I am adding you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button. I am sending you a private message with my 'Email address'. Click on “Inbox” to find my Email. Please attach the mini dump folder and email it to me directly. Do reply with the results. I would be glad to assist.

October 17th, 2012 07:00

Hi maurilesette,

Thank you for your prompt response. I have checked the mini dump folders to investigate the 'blue screens'. It exhibits various types of 'blue screen' errors:
- 'nvlddmkm.sys'
(related to nVIDIA video card drivers in the computer)
- 'ctclsflt.sys'
(This error may be related to webcam drivers installed in the system)
- 'driver powerstate failure'
(This error may occur when a driver does not work when Windows changes between power modes. For example going into or coming out of hibernation or Standby.
- 'ntoskrnl.sys'
(This error may be related to corrupt memory or corruption in Windows operating system)

Since there is an equal possibility of this being a hardware or a software issue, I recommend you try the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Run advance hardware diagnostics on system memory to check for its functionality
2. If the diagnostics pass, restore the computer software back to factory defaults
3. Update system BIOS
4. If the issue persists even after a factory reset, reinstalling 'Windows' with re-installation disc is recommended

Please reply through a private message with your system 'Service Tag' (It is a 5 - 7 digit alpha numeric code located on a bar coded sticker on the machine; Present at the bottom of the laptop; Located on the system tower). Also provide the account holder's name (Name of the person who purchased the computer). With this information handy, I will be able to retrieve your computer's details and will provide you with accurate details to perform the above mentioned troubleshooting steps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

October 18th, 2012 11:00

Hi maurilesette,

For more decisive results, I recommend you to run a 'thorough test' on the 'Memory'. Follow the steps listed below to launch ePSA (enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment):
- Power off the laptop (Ensure that AC Adapter cable is plugged in)
- Power on the laptop and repeatedly tap key
- Select option 'Diagnostics'
- The ePSA starts running the 'quick test' without waiting for user input
- Tap key to activate 'Interactive Mode' of diagnostic test

Note: The Touchpad/Mouse will be non–functional when the test is in progress. This is as per design.

Placing ePSA into the interactive mode allows the selection of specific devices from the Device Tree window. After pressing the ESC key, wait a moment for the current test(s) to complete. Once interactive mode is entered, the mouse cursor will change from an hourglass cursor to an arrow  and become responsive. Use the Mouse, Touchpad or up/down arrows and the Enter key to select 'Memory' (Located at the bottom of the list). To begin thorough test:
- High-light 'Memory'
- Place a tick mark in 'Thorough Test Mode' and click 'Run Test'

After a test completes, status icons are displayed to the left of 'Memory'
- Success is indicated by a green check mark
- Failure is indicated by a red x. If a failure occurs, a message is displayed asking whether or not to continue testing. Electing to continue will cause ePSA to continue through its list of devices. Not continuing will enter interactive mode
- A device which cannot be tested displays a 'Not Applicable' icon. Sometimes BIOS bugs prevent testing

Please capture the 'thorough test' status of the laptop's 'Memory'. If the test passes, it indicates a software issue and we will restore the laptop back to factory default settings. I checked the records and your laptop's warranty is now expired. However, I will provide you the other troubleshooting steps and instructions for factory reset. However, if the test fails, memory card replacement will be needed to fix the problem. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

11 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 08:00

The test passed. Please provide troubleshooting steps and instrustions for factory reset.  Thank you for your  help.  Also, will I need to save documents and pictures prior to restoring?

1.1K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 09:00

Hi maurilesette,

I am following up this case on the behalf of DELL-Saurabh A. I am glad that the hardware test passed. Please find the steps for factory settings below:

Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.

To perform PC restore:-

1. Restart PC, keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  2. Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice).
  3. Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  4. 'System Recovery Options' prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  6. 'Choose a Recovery Tool Window' appears, select 'Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup'.
  7. The Welcome screen will show 2 options; 'Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files' and 'Select other System Backup and more options'. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click 'Next'.
  8. The next window shows these options; 'Backup Files and folders' and 'Restore my computer'. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  9. Select the 'Factory Image' and click ‘Next’.
  10. The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click 'Next'.
  11. A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click 'Next'.
  12. PC restore will initiate. Once done, click 'Restart'.
  13. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account.

Please reply in case you have any further questions.

October 26th, 2012 12:00

Hi maurilesette,

I am checking to get an update on your computer's performance. Have you restored the software settings of the system back to factory defaults? Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

11 Posts

October 26th, 2012 13:00

I actually haven't reset it yet.  In organizing my pictures so that I could put them on a jump drive before resetting, I acidentally hit delete and my "My Pictures" file disapeared.  It isn't in the recycle bin and I couldn't undo it.  Do you know if there is a possibility that I could recover it?

October 29th, 2012 04:00

Hi maurilesette,

It appears that you've accidentally deleted the contents in 'My Pictures' folder. Unfortunately, we do not offer 'data recovery' services; you may try contacting a local technician who specialize in 'data recovery'. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

11 Posts

October 29th, 2012 15:00

I did restore my computer, but now is has startup failure.

11 Posts

October 29th, 2012 15:00

What is my next step?

October 30th, 2012 08:00

Hi Mauri,

Thank you for your response. Could you provide more details about the 'start up failure' that you are experiencing? that will help me to get a better understanding:
- Please share the exact error message that appears on the screen when you start the system; please publish an image/picture of the screen if possible
- When you power on the laptop, at what stage do you encounter the 'start up failure'? Do you get the 'Dell logo' on the screen before the error? Does the laptop go past the 'Windows logo'?

In the mean while, please try the following steps; they may help:

1. Remove any peripheral devices that are attached to the computer. Peripherals include:
- Printers
- Scanners
- Media Card Readers
- Mobile devices such as smart phones or tablets or portable digital assistants or MP3 players
- Digital cameras or video recorders
- USB storage devices
- Remove the computer from a docking station if it is in one
- Remove any CDs or DVDs in the optical drive

2. Drain out the residual power:
- Power off your computer.
- Unplug the AC adapter and battery of your computer.
- Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain out the residual power.
- Release the power button.
- Insert the AC adapter only and power on the laptop
- If it goes beyond 'Dell Logo' this time, power it off, insert the battery also
- Power on the computer and recheck results

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

October 31st, 2012 12:00

Hi Mauri,

Thank you for a prompt response. I discussed in one of my previous post about the possibility of 'factory reset' not being able to fix 'Blue screen errors'. You may try performing a clean re-installation of 'Windows operating system'. You need a 'Windows 7 re-installation DVD' for the re-install. Please let me know if you have it. If you have the DVD, you may follow the steps listed below:

• Insert the Microsoft  Install DVD into the DVD drive of the computer
  • Restart (or power on) the computer
  • Repeatedly tap key as soon as the keyboard lights up
  • The 'Boot Menu' appears
  • Click 'CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive', and then press the key
  • A window appears that says 'Press any Key to Boot from a CD or DVD'
  • Promptly tap a key on the keyboard 2 - 4 times
  • Click 'Language, Time, Currency and Keyboard Method', and then click 'Next'
  • On the Windows Installation page, click 'Install Now'
  • Review the terms and click 'I accept the license terms' to proceed
  • You will be prompted with the message 'Which type of installation do you want?' > click 'Custom (advanced)'
  • Following prompt appears: 'Where do you want to install Windows' > click 'Drive options (advanced)'
  • Highlight all the partitions and delete them
  • Click 'OK'
  • On the 'Where do you want to install Windows' window, click 'New'
  • When prompted to select the size of the file, select the size, and then click 'Apply'
  • Click to select the partition, and then click 'Format'
  • When prompted with 'If you format this partition, all data stored on it will be permanently deleted' window, click 'OK'
  • Click 'Next' to 'Where do you want to install Windows'
  • 'Installing Windows' prompt appears
  • The Setup window appears
  • Select a user name, password, and picture for your user account
  • On the 'Choose a computer name and choose a desktop background window', click 'Next'
  • On the 'Help Protect Windows automatically' window, click 'Use Recommended Settings'
  • Click to select your time zone, and then click 'Next'
  • 'Thank you' prompt appears
  • Click 'Start'

Please let me know once Windows 7 is re installed and I will give you proper sequence of the drivers to be installed on your system. Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

November 1st, 2012 08:00

Hi Mauri,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Since you do not have the Windows operating system DVD, I will send it to your postal address. I will also include the 'drivers and utilities' media for this computer. Please reply through a private message with the following details:

1. Shipping address (Address where you want us to ship the DVD)
2. Contact number
3. Alternate phone number
4. Best time to reach you (Time zone information)
Note: Please ensure that you provide a physical address; PO box will not be valid for shipment.

Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

November 6th, 2012 20:00

Hi Mauri,

I am checking for an update on the computer media sent to you. Hope you've received them. Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

No Events found!