Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2012 21:00

Blue and black screens!

Ok so I'm not the best at computers especially when it comes to some of the complicated language used but I'm having a major problem with my dell. I have had my computer which runs windows 7 for almost two years now and it has a 320gb hard drive and 4gb of ram ( I think those are the correct terms) I recently installed a new norton anti virus 360.6 and updated Internet explorer. Since doing this my computer is acting up. When I left my house I shut down my computer as normal and now when I turn it on I either get stuck on the windows logo page or on the windows blue page with the green swirls on it. I've been looking on some forums and browsing the net about what to do and everything I try just gets me back to one of those pages. Stuck. I ran the diagnostic test twice and it told me to reboot and then the logo screen got stuck. I tried to boot up in safe mode and it just sent me back to the logo screen And I tried to restart at the last good configuration (by pressing f8) and I got stuck on the blue screen. I have completely run out of ideas for what to do to fix this thing! Can anyone help?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 11th, 2012 04:00

What is the PC Model Number?   We can only offer general suggestions without it.  

Do you have the Windows 7 disc?  If you do, boot from the disc and run the "Startup Repair" which MAY get you going.  

Or, Press F8 before Windows starts, select Safe Mode (no networking) and if that starts OK, use the System Restore and restore the PC back to a date prior to installing Norton as Norton was the last thing installed that could be causing the problem.  Updating the Internet Explorer would not have caused this.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2012 05:00

Its a dell Inspiron 1750. I think that's what you meant. Like I said I'm a novice at this.

I do not have the windows 7 cd. When I bought my computer it was already included. The only CDs I have are the application cd- for reinstalling cyber link and the drivers and utilities cd for the software.

I have tried the f8 method and tried to boot up in safe mode but every time I do that the computer flashes a blue screen with some writing on it (too fast to read) and then takes me back to the windows error recovery page that gives me the option of launching startup repair- which I did and it did nothing. Or start windows normally which is where I get stuck on the starting windows page with the logo.

I have also tried to boot up using f8 and choosing the "last known good configuration" and then again appears the logo page!

Thanks so much for trying to help me. I do appreciate it :)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 11th, 2012 06:00

You can download Windows 7, create an ISO DVD and then use that to boot and run the Startup Repair.   Download the exact same version of Windows 7 that you have now, such as Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.  If the working computer you have will not create an iso DVD, you can download the free (and popular) Imgburn program to create it. 

Windows 7 download

Imgburn

How to run Win 7 startup repair

3 Posts

April 11th, 2012 13:00

When my computer starts I have the option of doing the startup repair and what happens is that I click on it and the light blue screen and an abnormally large mouse pointer appears on the screen and then does nothing.

My computer is clearly turned in but there it sure doesnt sound like it.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 12th, 2012 14:00

Have you tried a system restore? Power down your machine. When powering up press F8 repeatedly, this will take you to the Advanced Boot Menu. Select Repair your Computer and then Press Enter. Then select System Restore and Pick a Time before you install Norton. What was your old antivirus before Norton? Did you have any problems which made you buy Norton?

Have you ran the hardware diagnostics? Power down your system. Press F12 when booting up, select diagnostics, run these and any extended test.

You could also try performing A Clean Install of Windows as outlined in my wiki found in my signature below.

No Events found!