Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2013 14:00

Boot error

I just installed a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate and received the message "Not enough space in Runtime area!!. SMBIOS data will not be available". I unplugged the PC removed the internal battery for over an hour while doing a lite cleaning afterwards replaced the battery and then moved the motherboard jumpers as recommended. When I fired the PC up again I found no change regarding the error. Any thoughts? 

750 Posts

April 25th, 2013 03:00

Hi jcook1501,

May I know if the BIOS was recently updated on the system? Are you able to enter into the system BIOS using F2 key?

Also, kindly let me know the system model to assist you further.

8 Posts

April 25th, 2013 17:00

My apologies for overlooking the offering of such important information. I have attempted several times to update the bios, however, on each attempt I get a 9996 error telling me that my system does not meet the minimum requirements. I have since uploaded all available critical/important updates for the Vista ultimate operating system as well as the Intel chipset drivers, audio and video drivers. In addition, I have updated the.net framework to 4.0 with all relative framework updates. The system is a Compaq Presario SR5310F desktop PC with the IPILP-LC motherboard. And, I'm still unable to flash the bios. When I changed the pens on the motherboard to reset the bios I had the battery installed but the unit was unplugged from the AC outlet. I was wondering if I should have turned the unit on after changing the jumpers on the motherboard safely powered the unit down replacing the jumpers back to their original position on the motherboard and then repower the unit?

750 Posts

April 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi jcook1501,

We can try this:

• Disconnect the power cable from the computer.
  • Then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to remove the residual power.
  • Leave the jumpers on the motherboard in the original position.
  • Remove the coin cell battery (CMOS battery).
  • Switch on the computer without the coin cell battery.
  • Switch off the computer.
  • Insert the coin cell battery back in its place and switch on the computer.

Let me know the results.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2013 13:00

No change. For clarification, I plugged the unit back in without the battery and turned it on then right back off replacing the CMOS battery and starting up the unit. I also tried to run the BIOS flash in "Safe Mode" with no change. Thank you for your input. Any other thoughts?

750 Posts

April 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi jcook1501,

Did you receive any disk with the computer? If you have one, you may try flashing the BIOS using it.

If issue persists, please contact the computer manufacturer who might be able to suggest a solution.

No Events found!