Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 4th, 2005 18:00

Bootable CD

I have another more serious (to me) thread going here regarding reinstall XP, but seems I need to buy an external floppy drive to continue there. 

So....   can I reconfigure so can boot from a bootable CD such as the Dell reinstallation CD? 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 4th, 2005 18:00

You just move the cd drive up in the boot order so that it is ahead of the hard drive. You don't need a floppy drive.

12 Posts

December 4th, 2005 19:00

Mary G,

I assume you mean highlight #4 in my picture and hit enter?  If so, doesn't seem to work.

jt

3.2K Posts

December 4th, 2005 20:00

Try moving the others down . .

18.8K Posts

December 4th, 2005 21:00

L2T,

The screen indicates that you can press U or D to change the device order. Select the CD-ROM drive and press U to move it up in the order.

12 Posts

December 5th, 2005 12:00

Thanks all...  that worked nicely!

Should I have received a Dell Dimension Resource CD with my computer?  (Dimension 8400 purchased this year.  XP/MCE)

There are several places I have visited lately that have utilities (Dsrfix for one) that are to be downloaded to floppies.  Is it possible to put these on a CD instead of a floppy and still make them work?  I was unable to find a cheapo external floppy drive yesterday and would just as soon return the one I bought unopened.

JohnT

No Events found!