Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2010 09:00

Burning recovery disc fails

Hello,

I wanted to burn the recovey disc (still undone !) for the Windows Vista OS and get rid of the recovery partition in order to install Linux, so I downloaded Datasafe Backup, but it cancels operation each time I try. It burns nearly entirely the dvd, but cancels ; if you insert the given disc in the tray it is considered blank. As this software is, I would say, "hermetic", as it does not give any explanation on why operation failed, or does not offer any option for burning those discs, I'm puzzled. 

I wanted to do it and erase the partition to install linux aside, so what can be the reason of this failure ?

DELL Vostro 1700 (2007)

322 Posts

December 10th, 2010 10:00

Hello WIR3D

I'm not sure, but sounds like the file might be to large for the dvd.

You shoule image the recovery partition to ext-HD or large flash drive.

I have found that if you do get it onto a dvd, it might not be good later.

Hope this helps you.

6 Posts

December 11th, 2010 02:00

I'm not sure, but isn't the job of this software to deal with the size of the file ? I mean it doesn't offer any option for the burning of the dvd... So you suggest me to buy a usb key large enough to hold the file and drop it in a locker just in case ? I would say, hoping that it would work ? I wanted to clear this off quickly so I had to pay 15€ for these dvd, now I should just pay another fifteen more hoping this time it will be useful ? (Furthermore a dvd is more reliable as I won't fear somebody would erase data on it).

I'm quite disappointed that such a big company couldn't afford to spend one dol on a recovery disc, so customers just have to spend time and money trying to do it with a software that doesn't even explain what's the reason of the failure.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 13th, 2010 09:00

wir3d,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

There was no Datafe media burning option on this system in 2007. This just recently started the Media Reduction disk burning which comes pre-installed from the factory. The program that you are using is for backing up data on your system to the external site.  You would also need to pay for this service.

6 Posts

December 13th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for replying, but it doesn't help me much...
Although I did not try to do it by fancy, it's the dell support center that told me to download this software and to burn this recovery disc. 
In case that there is an incompatibility with this software because my hardware is too old,  my question is now how should I burn/get the recovery disc ?

I really need to install linux to work, so I need a disc in case things turn bad (it already did on another machine, so won't do anything without it). 

• 

16.7K Posts

December 16th, 2010 12:00

WIR3D,

There is no software from Dell to download that will burn a recovery reinstallation disk for this system,.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2010 07:00

Seriously, I don't understand why you keep ignoring my remarks, so I'll make myself clear if it wasn't.

Dell support center tell me this (this is a loose translation of french, so it may not exactly say this in the english version) :
" Recovery : You haven't created no copy of the image of the original software."
" We strongly recommend you to create an external copy of the Dell factory image that was originally installed on your computer."

And there is a button that opens Dell Datasafe Local Backup which in turn says "Create a recovery disc". Operation that fails, as said previously.

So, ok, maybe it doesn't work, but it should, your own software says it. As you may have noticed, I want to change the partition, so a recovery disc is absolutely necessary.

So my question is simple, is it possible to burn this disc anyway, and if  it can't work on this system, how could I this disc ?

Thank you.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 20th, 2010 06:00

Wir3d,

The program you downloaded will not create backup disk for you. The program Datasafe  to create your media is installed at the factory. It was not installed on a  Vostro computer in 2007. If you do not have a Windows disk you can click the link below and fill out the online request form to get the windows media. If you are in Country other than Canada or the US you will need to contact support or care in your are to obtain these disk.

Request Backup Disk

6 Posts

December 20th, 2010 10:00

Thank you very much ! So there is a simple way to solve this problem ! Would you know by the way how to find the similar page for france ? I've been unable to find it, I don't know how to translate this in french, and the website is quite huge.

28 Posts

December 20th, 2010 18:00

I just received my new Dell XPS 9100 today.  I tried running the DataSafe program to create the recovery disks.  The program prompts me to make sure that I have two disks on hand.  But, after running through the burn process on the first disk, I get a message that the burn process has failed (with no reason why).  When I retry, I get the same message.  I'm using DVD-R disks.

Help?

December 20th, 2010 21:00

I just bought a new Dell 1121, the new 11z with the i3 processor. I too try to make a backup disc and the system seems to do the job. But when I go to test the disc, no go - it's not operational. It only partly boots. I found online a site that provides an image for W7HP backup discs. I used that - it worked the first time. I see many people complaining of this same problem!

robert!

1 Message

January 15th, 2012 06:00

I have bought a XPS 15 and I am getting the same issue regarding making a back up discs. I am told it takes four discs and the process fails each time I try it. Any thoughts???

Mabus

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 15th, 2012 08:00

An important point to note with backing up to discs is to buy good quality blank discs and not the junk sold in most stores. Verbatim DVDs which you can apparently buy at Sam's Club or buy the made-in-Japan discs online.

No Events found!