Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2004 23:00

CPU Usage at 100 % after waking from standby or hibernation help!!!!

Ok,
I have searched the forums and although MOST of what I have seen seem similar, they do not address my particular issue.
I am selling an I8200 and I did a fresh install of WIN XP Home.
I have never really used the laptop until I have been getting it prepped up.
When I either leave it on for a long period of time, or close the lid (without powering down) it goes into either hibernation or standby (not sure)
When I "wake it up" it is Horrendiously slow
so I hit CTRL ALT DEL (takes a good 45 sec or more) go into task manager and notice that 100% of the CPU is in use... so I say..."what the f..." because I am not running any programs...
so for kicks and giggles , i check...and as i said... no programs are running...
so i check PROCESSES and there is ONE process taking up 99% of CPU usage....
the process is..... SYSTEM  (i am sure some of you expected something else)
and from what I see, this only seems to happen when coming back from hibernation/standby

Oh and by the way, this is happening with a FRESH install of WIN XP HOME (without service pack one) then i figured let me install all the patches and updates..... still same issue...
How about that one? ... can anyone help?

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200
1.6 Ghz processor
512 MB Ram
30 Gb Hdd
Nvidia Geforce 4 440 go 64 mb video card
Windows XP Home
802.11b (internal wireless)
dvd fixed
24x cdrw removable

516 Posts

November 30th, 2004 12:00

Did this behavior start before or after the fresh reinstall of windows? You may want to make sure that you have installed the chipset driver for this system.

30 Posts

November 30th, 2004 14:00

Hey,
Thanks for the response...
I never had anything loaded on it, it didn't have a hard drive until recently.
So my only time seeing this problems is after first installing Windows XP
I never knew this laptop to have chipset drivers but I will look and try that, because that would probably be the only driver I have not installed.
I will let you know whot it works for me, thanks again

11 Posts

December 1st, 2004 15:00

I'm having a comparable problem, but mine is with a four year old desktop.  I had had no problems until two weeks ago when I finally broke down and loaded SP2.  Since then, Internet Explorer has been very slow, or even freezing up, and the computer in general has slowed down.  I  have found that CPU usage has been running in the 70 to 100 percent range on startup in the morning.  Occasionally restarting the computer will solve the problem, but not for long. This morning I finally ran the task manager to see what was going on and I found a process running under the name vssdll.exe.  There were no applications running at the time.  This one process was working the CPU to near 100% and using 200,000 k of memory.  It finally stopped and my computer loosened up.  Anyone out there know about this process vssdll.exe?

Windows XP home with SP2.
RAM 384mb
30G hdd
P3 700

30 Posts

December 1st, 2004 17:00

See, yet another person.. alot of suggestions are spyware...but when you have a fresh install what else can it be...and why for me and the other person who posted , is this only happening with hibernation?...I have XP SP 1 ...so SP2 wouldnt be the problem if its happening in SP 1 as well...

I posted in 2 forums (power management and software) and i was told to try to install the chipset driver...i tried that...still no good....

Any Dell moderators with any insight?

9 Posts

I'm having this same *exact* problem as the original poster talked about.  Whenever I resume from Hibernation or Stand By my Latitude C610 Laptop is very, very slow (nearly unresponsive) and it displays the same behaviors listed such as excessive processor and memory usage.  It's a clean install of Windows XP with SP2.  XP came preinstalled on the laptop directly from Dell and I installed SP2 on my own.

Has anyone found a solution to this very frustrating problem?  Thanks!

9 Posts

I just checked the available drivers for my laptop model (Latitude C610) and there aren't even any Chipset drivers available...so...I don't think that's the solution.

As for spyware/virus concerns, I've already scanned for both several times.  No problems found.  I've checked the event logs to see if anything is out of the ordinary, I've looked for suspicious processes - nothing.  I've gone into the BIOS for the laptop and tried changing power management settings, SpeedStep settings, etc. - nothing.  Something is causing the laptop to really chug along, and whatever it is it doesn't let up.  In all of my cases with this I've had to manually power the laptop down and restart it - that's the only way to use it again.

What's funny is that I also have a Latitude CPxJ, which is an older, slower machine, and it comes back up from Hibernation/Stand By without any problems whatsoever.  It's running XP w/ SP2.  The major differences between my two laptops are that the CPxJ has 512MB RAM while the C610 has 256MB, the CPxJ has a P3 650 Mhz processor while the C610 has a P3 1.2 Ghz processor, and the C610 has built-in WiFi while I use a PCMCIA card for wireless on the CPxJ.  I run nearly the same software (which is very little, I might add) on both laptops.

The tricky part about this problem is that I can't tell whether it's a hardware or OS issue.

I'd really appreciate it if a Dell representative would address this issue.  Thanks.

30 Posts

December 1st, 2004 18:00

To the people who don't like CAPS.. I am using them for emphasis and letting off frustration.. I am not yelling at anyone (my disclaimer)

My replies are followed by >>>>>>

>>I don't think the drivers are the issue/solution either

As for spyware/virus concerns, I've already scanned for both several times.  No problems found.  I've checked the event logs to see if anything is out of the ordinary, I've looked for suspicious processes - nothing. 

>>>Same here and I find NOTHING

I've gone into the BIOS for the laptop and tried changing power management settings, SpeedStep settings, etc. - nothing. 

Something is causing the laptop to really chug along, and whatever it is it doesn't let up.  In all of my cases with this I've had to manually power the laptop down and restart it - that's the only way to use it again.
>>>>>SAME EXACT THING ...the ONLY way it will run normally again is if i REBOOT ...
and the ONLY time it acts this way is if it HIBERNATES!!!!!

What's funny is that I also have a Latitude CPxJ, which is an older, slower machine, and it comes back up from Hibernation/Stand By without any problems whatsoever.  It's running XP w/ SP2.  The major differences between my two laptops are that the CPxJ has 512MB RAM while the C610 has 256MB, the CPxJ has a P3 650 Mhz processor while the C610 has a P3 1.2 Ghz processor, and the C610 has built-in WiFi while I use a PCMCIA card for wireless on the CPxJ.  I run nearly the same software (which is very little, I might add) on both laptops.

>>>>>I have an Inspiron 8100 with XP 512 MB ram and this gives me NO PROBLEM , on this machine hibernation is my best friend...

The tricky part about this problem is that I can't tell whether it's a hardware or OS issue.

>>>>>It cant be hardware because you and I are running two different machines...My issue is the a Dell Inspiron 8200 Pentium 4 different mobo...different processor....
Funny though your C610 and my I8100 are the same machine , just different plastics...and my I8100 gives me no issues

11 Posts

December 1st, 2004 20:00

My virus check today just found two trojan horses on my system.  Why they weren't caught sooner is disappointing.  I suspect though that my problem of a process eating up memory and using the CPU is fixed.  They were labeled Agent PSW 2.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2005 01:00

Has anyone found a resolution for this? I"m having the exact same problem....computer becomes useless after waking from standby. CPU shows 100%, only rebooting solves the problem.

I have a Latitude C400. The funny thing is, it used to recover from standby flawlessly. I don't know what's happened recently, but it won't recover anymore.

Just two days ago, I reformatted the hard drive and resinstalled everything and it still happens!

Any solutions? I'm going nuts!

No Events found!