Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

October 17th, 2007 13:00

CS3 loads but won't run

Ok - not sure if this goes in this section or not.. but it's a technical question.

My b/f bought me a Dell Laptop last week. It has the recommended minimum of everything adobe says it needs for my CS3 Design suite (see below for 1721 specs)

When I installed it on the laptop - it was slow, but said it installed. But when I go to open up Photoshop, it opens the screen - and then just hangs. After about 5 minutes it says not responding and I close it. Any of the other programs that came with won't even get that far. I click on them and it gives the little "thinking" circle (as I call it.. lol) and then nothing.

I have read that CS3 has issues with Vista - but their site says the home premium should work. I've also read about 64 bit issues.. but the OS is 32 bit - so it's capable of running 32bit systems... I guess.

I called adobe yesterday after installing and reinstalling CS3 15+ times... with the same issue.  I was on the phone for about 2 hours with them.  Basically - they have NO CLUE what it would be since it installs fine and opens with no error messages.  I checked the log files and there is nothing in there I see that says any kind of error.

I have disable windows defender, uninstalled McAfee and google desktop (all are known to cause issues with CS3), I have ALL non MS startup services turned off.. I have turned off the MS users control.. all suggested by the adobe tech.

I have installed using the run as administrator.  Nothing.  Created a new admin account and installed on that user and opened on reg admin account.  Nothing. (again typical things that correct cs3 install issues)

The last thing the guy said was that it might be a video issue.  I checked and there aren't any issues mentioned and no driver updates listed.

We tryed installing this on my b/f's laptop.  He bought the exact one I have (except his is red.. mine blue.. lol) and it does the EXACT same thing...

Anybody have any clues on this?

Inspiron 1721 Notebook: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 (1MB/1.8GHz)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
120 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
Video
ATI RADEON Xpress1270 HyperMemory
Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Base
Inspiron 1721 Notebook: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 (1MB/1.8GHz)
Bluetooth Wireless
Bluetooth Wireless Card 355
Software Upgrade
Microsoft Works 8.5
Premium Pack - Advanced Photo+Music: Deluxe Pack + Paint Shop Pro XI
NoteBook Screen
17 inch WXGA+ TrueLife Glossy Notebook Screen
Hardware Upgrade
No Camera
6 Cell Primary Battery
90W AC Adapter
Network Interface Card
Dell 1505 Wireless-N

4 Posts

October 17th, 2007 15:00

ok - talked with Dell support and they says that I have to PAY THEM $150+ to figure this out?!?!?

I don't think so.....

4 Posts

October 17th, 2007 19:00

The Dell guys told me that it was a known issue that CS3 WON'T run on Vista and that Adobe is working the issue.  Which is bogus since I know many other photographers that run CS3 on Vista with no known problems.

Told them that I knew others that were running it on Vista and it worked fine. They had no answer.

I'm currently waiting for the Technical support manger to call. This is after expressing my displeasure to the technical supervisor about them trying to pawn this issue off on anyone else but themselves. Why can't they go grab a 1721 off the shelf and replicate the issue and try to figure it out from there?!?!?!

I used to work on anetwork helpdesk.. if I tried that answer without trying to replicate the issue and ATLEAST try to find an answer.. I wouldn't have lasted very long at all!!!!

Message Edited by otrphoto on 10-17-2007 03:10 PM

11 Posts

October 25th, 2007 18:00

I have the full CS3 Suite on my desktop computer with Vista Home Premium works fine.I will tell you that it is very memory intense I currently have 3gb ram with a Intel e6600 processor I did run defrag on my hard drive afterwards which actually helps.I had reinstall the program once it seems to be a hiccup with the program for some reason.I also made sure I installed it in admin mode on Vista.I kinda wonder if the laptop is just not fast enough to run it.

Message Edited by xalint1 on 10-25-2007 02:06 PM

6 Posts

November 19th, 2007 17:00

Had the very same experience with a brand new Inspiron 1721. Adobe InDesign CS3 installs but won't run.

I reinstalled Vista Home Premium from the Dell DVD and first installed Adobe InDesign CS3. No luck. It still does not run.

Adobe and Dell Tech Support tell me that it maybe a problem with the Dell OEM version of Vista Home Premium.

Even if I would buy from Microsoft the full version of Windows Vista and install it, who guarantees that I will not waste another 24 hours reinstalling everything just to find out that CS3 is still not running?

I can't understand how Dell can sell a brand new and very good looking notebook and not support such important software as the Adobe CS3 product line.

Message Edited by feliceCH on 11-19-2007 01:49 PM

15 Posts

January 6th, 2008 04:00

I also had the same issue recently with a 1721, Vista Home Premium, w/Mcafee. Adobe suggested removing Adobe 7 Reader, which came pre-installed, removing McAfee, installing Apple QuickTime 7.1, but it didn't help. CS3 Standard Suite installs, apps open, but froze on exit. Even tried pc restore and removing adobe and mcafee; no luck. (Note: At first the issue was that the apps would not launch properly, but I removed Google Desktop and it improved somewhat, graduating to launching but freezing on exit.) I also tried re-installing the CS3 suite after disabling all startup items in msconfig and rebooting; it still did not work.

Reinstalled O/S from Dell CD and added only the Dell notebook system software and recommended drivers. Then installed CS3 and it works beautifully!

Started adding everything else back, such as MS Office Home and Student 2007, Dell QuickSet, Dell Support Center, Dell Support, Dell Media Direct, Google Desktop, Google Toolbar, Roxio Creator DE, Creative Live Cam, Dell Webcam Center, Dell Wireless, Modem Diagnostic Tool, Adobe Flash Player 9, Java SE Runtime Environment 6, Digital Line Detect and, finally McAfee Security Center. After systematically testing each addition by rebooting and launching CS3 Illustrator and InDesign, I found that none of the applications prevented it from running or exiting properly; however, after the addition of Google Desktop and McAfee, its performance is slowed down on the first launch. 

I suspect that the removal of McAfee and Google desktop wasn't as clean as I thought and there were remnants in the registry that interfered with the Adobe CS3 installation. I'm still researching because I have to install the CS3 suite on an XPS m130 soon. I'll provide more details as I discover them.

6 Posts

March 12th, 2008 15:00

Update:

As recommended by the Dell Tech Support, I purchased from Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, reformatted the hard disks of the Inspiron 1721, installed Vista, and then on the "virgine" system installed the newly downloaded trial version of Adobe CS3 InDesign , Phtotshop, and Dreamweaver.

Installation was problem free. Start of InDesign, Photoshop and Dreamweaver also worked well. Registering the trial versions caused the first extended hang of the software, but finally cleared. But then the problems started. Neither Photoshop nor Dreamweaver could be closed. Had to stop the process. InDesign closed but could not be started again - the process was still hanging. Clearing the process allowed a fresh start of InDesign. After half an hour InDesign crashed fatally:

Error: "The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically".

Removed InDesign, reinstalled it again. Now it does not start anymore. But the process is running in the background.

Could there be a conflict between the Insprion 1721 hardware and the FLEXnet licensing service used by Adobe?

Dell tech support tells me that they can not help me any further.

Is anyone at Dell reading this? Are there known issues with CS3 and the Inspiron 1721?

6 Posts

March 12th, 2008 18:00

Hi Phoenix123

I'm happy for you. I wished I had heard of anyone running CS3 successfully on an Inspiron 1721. Dell refuses to take a 1721 from the coveyor belt and run a test installation of CS3.

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

March 12th, 2008 18:00

CS3 runs extremely well on my laptop.  Including Bridge and Camera Raw.  Have not any problems at all under Vista Premium.  I installed CS3 from the Adobe download. 

One would not think the Inspiron in your case would be the problem. 

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

March 12th, 2008 19:00

You probably already did this.  Make sure you have all the latest VISTA updates installed.  I'm assuming sinece you just got your new laptop all the drivers are up todate as well. 

Don't let anyone tell you that CS3 doesn't run well under VISTA.  It does as long as you have enough memory and resources for it.

The only thing I can think of is a driver conflict since you have different hardware then I do. 

9 Posts

March 14th, 2008 08:00

I had a similar problem with the Adobe Elements software. The solution that I found was to download and install the patch on this page http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750 for adobe acrobat and this fixed the problems with the Adobe software.

I have subsequently installed photoshop CS3 and it runs without any problems. 

Even though the patch is listed as for Adobe Acrobat it seems to fix a licensing problem common to all of their software. 

6 Posts

March 14th, 2008 09:00

Hi Belmana

Thanks for the excellent hint. It appears it solved the problem somehow. When I start now a CS3 application it takes a little longer and the programme seems to search for something. After a minute or so InDesign pops up the trial license screen and then continues fine. When I start Dreamweaver it also takes 1 minute of searching something, but then it pops up a log-in screen to another PC on the LAN! Clicking cancel the process continues and after a minute or so the trial license screen appears. After that everything seems to work fine, even closing the application is now working properly (with some slight delays).

I'm glad you found this trick. I hope it helps others too. And I hope Adobe releases a patch that functions 100%.

1 Message

September 18th, 2008 05:00

I saw you posts regarding Adobe CS3 not running correctly and was hoping you might be able to give me some advice. I recently installed Adobe CS3 and everything was working great. All of the sudden after two-three weeks of no issues when I got to insert images, hyperlinks or flip from code  to design veiw the program crashes. I did notice from when I installed I cannot properly close the program, I literally have to END the process although this was manageable.

Now I can hardly do anything as the program crashes leaving my work unsaved at random times... Any ideas? Much apprecaited!!!

6 Posts

September 18th, 2008 07:00

>>Now I can hardly do anything as the program crashes leaving my work unsaved at random times... Any ideas? Much apprecaited!!!

I would love to help you but can not offer you more than what I described in my last post. The solution Belmana worked for me. I have now no problems running CS3 applications and therefore upgraded from a trial to afull fledged version.

11 Posts

September 18th, 2008 15:00

Cmehlert1987,

I would suggest at this point that you uninstall and reinstall the program it sounds like its corrupt at this point.I know it takes forever to install it agian but when it shuts down as soon as you start it believe me its better to just reinstall.Also I would suggest that you do a virus scan of your system Avg or Avast would work great for you. 

1 Message

October 1st, 2008 16:00

I had the same problem

Try installing java from sun

I solved my problem

No Events found!