Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2012 15:00

Can I download software pre-installed on my Dell computer from another computer?

I purchased my Dell computer in 2009. I never copied my software from my computer as a backup. I now need to have a new hard drive installed and all of the software reinstalled. I have the discs that came with the computer but there is some software that was preinstalled. Some of the paperwork that came with the computer states that I can download it from a speified website.

Since my Internet Explorer seems to no longer work on my computer, I used my sister's to start the registration process to download the software. I stopped when the process stated something about scanning my computer's service tag to determine the software; was using my sister's computer so this would not have worked.

My question: Will the registration proess allow me to enter my computer's service  tag number and then download the software? If not, how can I determine what software is preloaded andneeded for the reinstallation?

I was getting the software and hard drive for the Geek Squad technicians to install; they told me that is what is needed to get my omputer working okay again.  I can't imagine trying to do it myself. I don't know if they will do the hard drive install, windows install and then let me get the rest of the software I don't have. I am in a bit of a pickle...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Initial registration needs it to register with your own computer as the Service Tag of the computer must be scanned.

I suggest installing the new hard drive and loading Windows 7 with the system drivers, see this wiki for instructions:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx

When Windows 7 and the system drivers are installed you should reattempt registration with My Dell Downloads.

December 26th, 2012 16:00

Can I call Dell, give them the service tag number and have them charge me and send the software?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 26th, 2012 16:00

It really isn't so hard to do, the task seems more daunting than it is.

A few questions do you have a Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD?

Was it Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit you got with your system?

Did you get Microsoft Office with your system?

My guide here is step by step and has helped many users with the procedure: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx

No Events found!