Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TW

February 25th, 2010 09:00

Can I reinstall Windows XP on a Dell from a generic OEM disc?

I'm trying to fix a friend's Dell Dimension 8300 that fails to boot into Windows with a blue screen of death (BSOD).

I've run some tests and the hard drive appears to be damaged and failing. I can't image the hard drive, chkdsk fails to complete, and a WIndows repair installation failed.

My friend doesn't have the system discs that came with the computer. I have a generic (not from a PC maker) WIndows XP Home OEM disc that I bought for a custom whitebox system.

Would there be any problem with installing a new hard drive in the Dell and then reinstalling Windows from the generic OEM disc, and using the Windows product key from the Dell?

I asked this question on another forum and someone else mentioned that the Windows XP discs supplied with Dell systems are tied to Dell hardware and that the Windows product key supplied with the Dell may only work with a Windows disc supplied by Dell.  Anyone know about that?

February 25th, 2010 10:00

Your Generic OEM is not really legal either if you installed it on another system as that ties the disk to the PC it was installed on.

It ties the product key / license to the PC it was installed on.  The Dell has its own COA / product key / license.  I just want to use the generic OEM media, and the Dell's own product key / license.

It will install but you will have a heck of a time if not at all activating it.

In spite of the above, this is what I'm concerned about, as a practical matter.

Your friend should go HERE to request a set of backup disks.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.  If I could reinstall from my OEM disc it would be quicker, but if not I guess I'll need to request the replacement discs.

Yes, I have done this several times.

Ok, thanks.  So you're saying you've done this from a generic OEM disc, not a retail disc, correct?  The OEM disc is SP2.  I'm not positive about the Dell, but I'm pretty sure it would have been SP2.  The system was from about 2004 or 2005.

It must also be a Dell OEM disc - you CANNOT use a disc from another OEM like Lenovo, Acer, etc.

I'm talking about a generic Microsoft OEM disc that's not from any PC maker, what about that?

14.4K Posts

The are correct the key on the Dell will only work with Dell disks. Your Generic OEM is not really legal either if you installed it on another system as that ties the disk to the PC it was installed on. It will install but you will have a heck of a time if not at all activating it.

Your friend should go HERE to request a set of backup disks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It must also be a Dell OEM disc - you CANNOT use a disc from another OEM like Lenovo, Acer, etc.

288 Posts

Yes, I have done this several times. As long as the key on the box is for the same version of the software. If the Dell key is home home sp2 then the install disc must also be from an oem sp2 disk and not pro or sp1. Good Luck.

288 Posts

February 25th, 2010 12:00

I used a windows oem disk not Dell, HP or whatever brand. What must be considered is the version of the disk to the version of the cd. You will require W XP Home SP2 oem disk if that's the version noted on the Dell oem serial key. Good Luck.

February 25th, 2010 15:00

As long as the disc is an actual windows xp disc and not a restore disc from the manufacture you should be fine, just use the cd key on the side of the computer, you can activate it with no problem, i've done it before many times. 

Alright, even if the Windows disc is OEM (not retail), and even if the Dell shipped with SP1 and the disc is SP2?

468 Posts

February 25th, 2010 15:00

As long as the disc is an actual windows xp disc and not a restore disc from the manufacture you should be fine, just use the cd key on the side of the computer, you can activate it with no problem, i've done it before many times. 

468 Posts

February 25th, 2010 16:00

OEM is just key specific, but I will admit that i'm not 100 percent if the service pack thing is an issue.. I think i remember trying it out once but its been a while :-)

1 Message

July 4th, 2013 22:00

ya

1 Message

November 3rd, 2014 06:00

I realise that this is an old thread but hopefully someone can give a final clarification as there seems to be no definitive answer.

Dell Support in the UK say that they can no longer supply Dell OEM versions of Microsoft Windows XP SP3 installation disks so I may need to try Microsoft “unbranded” OEM versions but I have my suspicions that these may not work with a Dell licence key.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am running Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (SP3) on most of my machines and need to add some Windows components to these. I also have two older Dell Latitude laptops running Microsoft Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3 (SP3) although I am not desperate for installation media for this version.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 3rd, 2014 17:00

Neither Dell nor Microsoft will be able to provide you with installation media as Windows XP has reached end of life.

It is of course recommended for you to migrate to a newer OS and possibly a newer computer as Windows XP is unsecure and will no longer be updated.

However if you must install it, about the only place you'll get the Reinstallation CD is eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-NEW-Sealed-Microsoft-Windows-XP-Professional-SP3-Dell-Recovery-CD-Plus-Ram-/361087521754?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item54127e53da

P.S. The Dell Latitude D620 will run Windows 7/10 32 Bit without problem provided it has 1 GB or more RAM.

You may download and evaluate the Windows 10 Technical Preview by following the instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

I would not recommend purchase of Windows 8 or 8.1 as it will be obsolete as soon as Windows 10 is released next year. You can use the Technical Preview until its fully released and take advantage of early promotions.

No Events found!