Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2008 14:00

Can I use my Dell OptiPlex Installation disk on my Dell Vostro to load MSWORD?

I own a copy of MS WORD, it is on my desktop (OptiPlex GX270). My new laptop (Vostro 1000)came with MS WORKS. How do I get WORD from desktop onto my laptop??

319 Posts

March 7th, 2008 17:00

Unless you have a retail copy, you don't. OEM software is single licence.

Works uses Word as its heart, so in essense you already have it on there.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2008 18:00

Since the OEM versions, supplied with new PC's are only (legally) licensed for use on the system it was delivered with, consider the free (but they take donations) Open Office suite of programs that are compatible with MS Office (except Open Office does not have an e-mail program).  http://www.openoffice.org/

9 Posts

March 8th, 2008 01:00

Thanks guys for the depressing information.

I acually had a thought that if I paid for it I really "owned" it!

What is this world coming to?

9 Posts

March 8th, 2008 02:00

One more thought, I do have a 2 CD package from, 1 is the MS Office XP Small Business - version 2002. I think it came witha different(older) computer I had. 1 disk is Office XP 2002, the other is Media Content disk. It is a Microsoft package , original MS hologram.

The back states that the product may be launched and used 50 times according to End-User License Agreement (even if you do not activate the product. (Whatever that means)). Rubbing the blue thread reveals the wording "GENUINE". It has the 5 groups of 5 combination alpha/numerical Product Key at the bar code.

This is mine, I keep all original disks when I get equipment, but forget I even own them until times like this.

So, I do own this right? I can put the disk in and follow installation setup, right? It has launch use limits, not any time periods. I need confirmation from you, my peers, before I just go "throwing" the disk in.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 8th, 2008 10:00

@papapink wrote:

One more thought, I do have a 2 CD package from, 1 is the MS Office XP Small Business - version 2002. I think it came witha different(older) computer I had. 1 disk is Office XP 2002, the other is Media Content disk. It is a Microsoft package , original MS hologram.

The back states that the product may be launched and used 50 times according to End-User License Agreement (even if you do not activate the product. (Whatever that means)). Rubbing the blue thread reveals the wording "GENUINE". It has the 5 groups of 5 combination alpha/numerical Product Key at the bar code.

This is mine, I keep all original disks when I get equipment, but forget I even own them until times like this.

So, I do own this right? I can put the disk in and follow installation setup, right? It has launch use limits, not any time periods. I need confirmation from you, my peers, before I just go "throwing" the disk in.

The statement "The back states that the product may be launched and used 50 times according to End-User License Agreement (even if you do not activate the product"  would indicate that this is a "trial" version that can be used 50 times. 

What you do with your software is your business, we are just telling you what you are legally able to do.  And it's not Dell, it's all the PC vendors.  When you buy "OEM" software you buy it at a reduced price over the Retail version and it is only licensed for the PC it was delivered with and the OEM vendor is responsible for support, not Microsoft (free support for whatever period the OEM vendor states).  If you buy a new Retail version of Office it will state how many PC's it can be installed on or "used" at any given time so even the Retail software has limitations.  If you buy a new Retail copy of Windows XP or Vista you can only activate that Retail copy on one PC.  It's not just Microsoft, either, many other software vendors have similar restrictions - I just bought "Cakewalk Sonar 7" which is a professional audio recording program and it's restricted to installation on one PC.

9 Posts

March 10th, 2008 01:00

i am sorry to keep bothering you you keep referring to Dell CD for Dell (Gateway for Gateway, etc,).

I am referring to disks DIFFERENT than those came with my PC, Not Dell for new Dells.

Could myou nrefer me to a better forum???

3.9K Posts

March 11th, 2008 00:00

@papapink wrote:

i am sorry to keep bothering you you keep referring to Dell CD for Dell (Gateway for Gateway, etc,).

I am referring to disks DIFFERENT than those came with my PC, Not Dell for new Dells.

Could myou nrefer me to a better forum???

I'm not sure what this means. No one said anything about a "Dell CD for Dell..."

If you own a legal retail copy of the software you can remove it from one system and install it on another, and then activate it.

Alternatively as was mentioned you might consider the free http://www.openoffice.org/ 
which is one of the better office suites out there, and is pretty file compatible with Microsoft's Office.

Message Edited by tigerwolf7 on 03-10-2008 08:27 PM
No Events found!