Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 29th, 2008 11:00

Can't access web site with my laptop

I belong to a local yacht club, and I cannot sign on to their web site with my laptop. I can sign on using my wife's laptop (same model) and I can sign on using my PC, but not with my laptop. I am using the same sign on same password each time. I have dumped my cookies for that site, dumped the browsing history and enter the URL fresh each time. Any ideas on why my laptop is not recognized or allowed to the site?

I have had numerous conversations with the web master and he has changed my passworld back to the original which I am using each time now. He too can access the site using my sign on / password combination.

2.9K Posts

August 29th, 2008 14:00

Can you simply not connect, or is the site rejecting your logon?

Are you using a software firewall of any sort on the laptop? If so, disable it (briefly) while you try that site. If you can connect, then it is probably a setting in the firewall configuration.

August 29th, 2008 15:00

I can access the site but it will not acknowledge my sign in, it proceeds to the page I want but I am not logged in to make any changes, I am only visiting. I have the authority from the webmaster with the sign in but it will not acknowledge my laptop. I was thinking about the fire will or Mcafee but the settings on my other machies seem to be the same, the software was provided by my internet providor.

Let's say it is the firewall or security, what part of it would look at...it is Mcafee 

2.9K Posts

August 29th, 2008 15:00

Strange! So you can actually enter your UserID and Password, but the site refuses to acknowledge it? I'm not familiar with McAfee, but have you tried to disable the McAfee firewall before you try to log in? Have you tried using another browser (Firefox for example)?

August 29th, 2008 16:00

Well that did it, I down loaded Firefox and got right in, now I am going to restart Mcafee and see what happens and work form there.

Thanks for the insight.

I just tried it with the firewall, spam and virus disabled and it still does not work. I have not tried another browser yet, but I will.

Yes I can go to the site, and the sign in pops up. I enter my data and then click enter, the site proceeds as if it is going to accept it but the log in /log out button still shows log in and I do not have access to change the files. 

It sure seems as if it has to do with my browser or my virus protection, but both other machines are running identical set ups....the only anomoly is the wireless keyboard on the laptop...but I tried it directly from my laptop keyboard and i get the same result...no access.

I think I am going to download firefox now. 

2.9K Posts

Great! Well that's progress. I would suspect (since IE did not work even with McAfee disabed) that the problem lies with IE itself, rather than with McAfee.

A few things to check:

Are all of the machines running the same version of IE?

Is IE's pop-up blocker configured identically on each machine?

Is the Security Level for IE (internet zone) set the same on all of the machines?

Have you tried adding that particular site to your Trusted Sites?

Post back - this is interesting.

2 Intern

• 

596 Posts

August 29th, 2008 21:00

FWIW I had a issue similar to this with one forum site one time. Tried all the same things suggested here and no luck.The webmaster worked with me for some time and he kept referring to ie and I was actually using msn explorer, Finaly I caught on and used IE and it worked fine. The msn Browser was just not letting the one site work and to this day I still have not been able to find out why. I suspect it had something to do with cookie handling but was unable to remedy the problem

No Events found!