Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RP

July 29th, 2006 05:00

Can't get automatic updates.

I have a 2 month history of failed windows updates. Auto updates is set, but when the tray icon appears and is clicked, it always says: 'Downloading 0%'.

I've seen what my priority/express updates are and have downloaded some from the d/load center, but boy, do they make things difficult: searching for KB's even with full title info just doesn't work - and there's hundreds of 'em. I've got Office updates I can't get too. Am I missing something simple??

I think I've done all the checking I can, in services etc., to make sure updates should be working.I can't trace anything I might have done back to May 27th, when I got my last auto updates.

My laptop is optimised and otherwise runs OK. Inspiron 9300, XP Media Center SP2, McAfee suite protection. Please help; I've got a brick by my feet and it's going through the screen if don't get this sorted...

Thanks in advance, Rik

250 Posts

July 29th, 2006 12:00

I'd suspect McAfee. I had issue years ago with McAfee preventing updates going thru. If you feel brave, disable various McAfee services temporarily to see if updates work. Especially Privacy Service and Firewall.

August 2nd, 2006 17:00

Thank you, CC. Your adviced helped as I found out McAfee wasn't configured properly for updates. But neither resetting it, nor disabling privacy or firewall solved the problem! However, I booted up with the 'Profile 1' option, as opposed to my usual 'optimized' and lo!, I got the latest updates.

I've obviously optimised my setup one step too many, but I haven't figured out the culprit yet. But I do like a bit of sleuthing...

Rik

250 Posts

August 2nd, 2006 20:00

Good Luck ! If you like tinkering with software, you'll love McAfee :D
No Events found!