Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

Can't install Windows Update or Service Pack 1

A few weeks ago my system told me my hard drive was about to fail, so I made a recovery disk and backed up the drive. Evidently what ever was corrupt on the drive was copied to the recovery disk in that it gave me an error message when I used it to boot up and I wasn't able to install Windows 7 on the new drive. When I got the system 3 years ago it came with 7 already installed, and a message saying that there wasn't an operating system disk included and recommended I make a System Recovery disk right then and there, which I did, and still have. Using that I was able to at least get Windows 7 files installed on my new drive, but not much else works right. The first thing I noticed was when I tried to reinstall the drivers for a USB 3 card. I got an error saying the certificate wasn't signed. I'd already installed this driver before with the driver provided with the card with no problem, but I downloaded a new driver from the website. Still the same message. I surmised the problem may've been the 3 year old Windows files hadn't been updated with Service Pack 1, so I tried to update with Windows Update. I got an error message saying that Windows Update was not running. Checking with windows.com and Knowledge Base, this seems to be a common problem, but every fix I can come across, from command prompt scans (System File Checker scans, etc.) to logging in as a new user, to using Microsoft's automatic Fix-It applications, all which fail. I also tried installing the Service Pack without Windows Update, which resulted in "catastrophic failure" when trying to install. In many of these attempts to fix I get error message codes, which I research and try to use the suggested fixes...no go.

I'm sorry this got so long-winded, but I know you guys like details in order to better help me with my problem.  Actually I've left a lot out, such as error codes and such, all of which, as I said, have done searches on, found solutions only to have them not work.  I suppose I'm lucky to even get back on the internet, and even had to go through a couple hiccups setting up my wi-fi adapter.  As it is, a lot of web pages don't load right in Internet Explorer, if they do at all, including a couple pages on the Dell website.

I'm hoping maybe someone, possibly one of the Rockstars, can help with the myriad of problems I'm having with my system, but that I suspect can be boiled down to one solution. I'm wondering if a clean install of Windows from some type of system disk would solve all of these problems?  As it stands now I've been to several places (actually mostly windows.com and the Knowledge Base) for help and I've only succeeded in confusing myself and find no remedies

953 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 15:00

Hi octoberman,

In this situation first I would recommend running a thorough test using PC-Checkup. PC-Checkup is part of the Dell Support Center Application. To run PC Checkup you must install Dell Support Center application. Click here to download and install Dell Support Center application. Check the below mentioned video for more help on Dell Support Center Application:

My Dell in 99 seconds: Dell Support Center

Next, if you are in the US region, you can request the recovery media online for one time. Click here to know more. If you are in a different region, please reply with your region (country) and the exact System Model Number of your Dell Computer so that I can check for the available options.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 17:00

Have a look at Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

This will instruct you in performing a clean installation using a downloadable .iso from Digital River (which includes Service Pack 1). Step 1 will guide you through creating the media and step 2 backing up the product activation. Step 4 will guide you through downloading Windows standalone updates and Step 5 the system drivers. Step 6 is probably not necessary given you installed Windows 7 without any SATA drivers. Step 7a is optional but recommended and will securely wipe your system. Step 7b won't apply to your system.

Please provide the model of Dell, the model of USB 3.0 card (if you installed it manually) and the driver you attempted to install for the USB 3.0 card.

13 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 10:00

Thanks for your help.  Yes, I have the Support Center installed and have run a PC Checkup.  It passed, that is, other than the old, failed hard drive which I installed on another port with the intention of trying to retrieve files off of it.  Once I get the new installation of the OS on the new disk, I should say.  But I expected it to fail, that's what got me going on these travels in the first place.  And I started having these problems even before I put the old hard drive back in on the other port. All the other hardware is working fine.

13 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 11:00

Thank you so much for your help.  Actually I'd already downloaded the reinstallation guide .pdf, and just hadn't really consulted it yet, thinking, as I said, that a clean install would be my last option and hoping I'd come across some other remedies.  Interesting you mention the SATA drivers, I'd thought of that as well.  I tried to go to the Dell store page where I bought the new hard drive to see if I could navigate from there to where I might possibly download drivers for it, and that was one of the pages that wouldn't load in Internet Explorer...at all.  No matter how I tried to adjust cookies, security, access, protection mode, certification, etc.  It wasn't the only site that did that...some pages would work on the same site and some wouldn't, or I'd have to keep refreshing for it to pop in.  I'm not too worried, assuming this reinstall would help that as well.

I have a Studio XPS 435t/9000 desktop with 24G of RAM installed (maxed out as I understand it).  I put in a USRobotics USB 3.0 PCI-E card (2 ports) with the driver that came with it, an NEC 3.0 host controller driver (nusb3xhc.sys) which I also downloaded from USR's website to see if it made any difference...no go.  As I also said, even though it lists a Windows Hardware Compatiblity as the digital signer in the file details it also says Windows can't verity the signature.  Again, I'm assuming all this will be taken care of once I do the reinstall and I won't have to change any settings.

So I will let you know how it all proceeds, and thanks again for your help. 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 16:00

If you are having security certificate errors for multiple websites check the time/date of your system is correct.

If you are having trouble with Dell Drivers and Downloads only use the Dell FTP Website:

http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/index.html

953 Posts

October 7th, 2013 17:00

Hi octoberman,

Thanks to “natakuc4” for helping us with this issue. @ octoberman please keep us posted with the results.

13 Posts

October 8th, 2013 09:00

Yes, I greatly appreciate natakuc4's help.  Unfortunately I got a little busy so I'm really now just starting the clean install process explained in the .pdf.  I also had a little trouble finding the Windows 7 ISO.  The MS Knowldege Base said to go to the Microsoft Store, and indeed the link for it in the .pdf brought me there but I couldn't really find just the file.  But you know the internet, poke around long enough you'll find something, and I was able to find the file and download it, so I'll be starting my clean install sometime today probably.  Which brings me to another question you may help me with.

This all started with me asking in the forum if a virus or worm or something could cause a hard drive failure.  A couple months ago I picked up that Dept. of Defense trojan, or whatever it's called, and it locked up my system solid.  I managed to remove it, but about a month or so later I started getting blue screens every couple of days and a scan showed my drive was failing.  I know drives fail, but I've had the system for about 3 years without an ounce of trouble and was a little suspicious when the trouble started after the trojan and was wondering if that could be the cause.  After being told that viruses and such can cause failure I got the new drive and installed it after the old one went ahead and quit.  So now I'm thinking, once I get this clean install on the new drive is if I can use the old one as storage.  I really don't think there was a physical problem, don't hear any noise or anything, and my system knows it's there, just says nothing's on it (it's listed as RAW in my Disk Management).  Can I just re-format it and use it as storage?  Or do I have to do something so far as write 0's to it?

Thanks again you guys.

1 Message

January 20th, 2015 06:00

I have the same computer and had the same problem. Took me  2 weeks to figure it out and spoke with every possible co involved.. dell Microsoft windows and more.

Turned out, I had a corrupted file on my own downloaded original OS disks, right from the beginning, when I made them,  4 yrs earlier.

The Dell "safe data backup" backed up this problem, and just wasn't going to let go. So my new HD didn't work right, didn't let me do anything with window or Microsoft. Got a new hard drive. I first used my disks, no good. Same problem. Couldn't find a new recovery disk b/c windows no longer makes them, so dell said couldn't even sell me one, but would be happy to sell me windows 8. Everyone wanted to sell me the big fix and warranty program.

Finally! found new usb recovery  on eBay. Had the dell data back up and sure enough, corrupted my NEW hard drive. The back up, actually backs up corrupt O/S info and re-deposits it. It will not let you do a CLEAN RECOVERY!

Had to have the NEW HD formatted, then and only then, did my computer work again. 2 weeks to figure it out.

Actually had to have the new HD reformatted and then install your clean copy from the usb.

Never wrote on a forum and tried getting info to fix this from here, so many times.. hope this helps someone else!!!

It's a shame the manufacturers cant' provide a recovery disk anymore with purchase. How much more could that possibly cost. Really!

No Events found!