Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 29th, 2012 12:00

Can't share files?

I have a Dell Inspiron, Win7 Home Premiun, 64 bit, N4110 Laptop and a Dell Optiplex GX520 with Win7 Professional, 32 bit desktop and I'd like to be able to share files.  The laptop can see the desktp on my network but can't access any of the files.  My desktop can't see the laptop at all.  BTW, I do have MS Security Essentials running on the laptop and the Windows Firewall is on - the desktop is set up the same way.  Would anyone have any suggestions for me.  Thanks!

September 29th, 2012 13:00

In the Network Sharing Center on both computers it says HomeGroup: Joined.  Then under that it says Connections: Local Area Connection.  Thanks for your reply.  Any other suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 29th, 2012 13:00

Do you have your network location set to Home on both machines?  If so, have you set up a Homegroup?  When set to Home, Windows 7 prefers Homegroup sharing.  You can also map a network drive (a drive letter than points to a folder on the other machine) by opening [My] Computer, Map Network Drive, type in the folder on the other machine you want to map to, then check the box to Connect Using Different Credentials.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 29th, 2012 14:00

First, make sure in the Network and Sharing Center, Advanced Sharing, that Network Discovery is turned on on both systems.

Assuming that they are joined to the same Homegroup ... have you set up Homegroup to share folders?  Have you specified which folders should be shared, and/or have you actually shared the folders yet (right-click folder, Sharing tab)?  Ifthat is too basic a question, please don't be offended ... it is not unusual for that to be overlooked by novice PC users - which I'm not saying you are - just that I don't know your level of experience :)

October 1st, 2012 12:00

In Advanced sharing settings 'Turn on network discovery', Turn on file and printer sharing', 'Turn off public...', 'Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56 bit encryption', 'Turn off password ...' and the 'Allow Windows to manage...' are all checked

This is a small in-home network and my goal is to give full access to all of the computers on it.  I checked and both C drives are shared.

BTW, I freely admit to being a very novice PC user.

On the bottom of  the View your basic network information and set up connections page I found a troubleshooter that I went ahead and ran.  It went from troubleshooting the GomeGroup to troubleshooting the network.  I eventually ran into the error message below.  Hope you can help.  Thanks!

Well, I guess I can't insert the image so it says....

"Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service (PNRPsvc or the Peer Networking Identity Manager service (p2pimsvc) is not..."

No Events found!