Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2010 06:00

Can this Latitude E4300 support XP?

Can the following laptop support Windows XP Pro?

Dell Latitude E4300, 2.53 GHz Core2 Duo P9600 Bios Del A13 10/29/2009. 4GB memory. Exotic Samsung PB22-JS3 128GB encrypted SSD.  Board is Dell 0J799R.

This shiny new laptop came with Windows 7 Pro. To accommodate unfortunate legacy surprises, I tried to install Windows XP Pro 32. I tried 3 XP CDs  which worked on other computers: a Dell SP2, an MS SP2, and an MS SP3.  After loading files, these had identical blue screen results about six seconds into "Setup is starting Windows".
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

In BIOS I turned off wireless and other non-essentials, with the same results. I suppose if install had to die, it's good it left the existing system intact.

1.1K Posts

February 5th, 2010 08:00

Hi gregoreo

Suggest you click the Edit button on your above post & delete a.s.a.p. the Service Tag info

Otherwise Community Admin may delete your post (a security issue – your security)

Edit: Answer to your question is YES

Go to Dell Support > Drivers & Downloads & enter your Service Tag

It will default to original OS platform preinstalled (Windows 7) & display drivers for that platform

Change the OS platform from the dropdown menu to XP

You should see the required XP drivers for your Latitude E4300 build spec (17 files)

However if all 78 generic build spec drivers only appear (doubt it) ?

Then to identify correct (build spec) drivers (unless you know exactly the make & model of each installed hardware device), before removing Windows 7 you may need to use Dell System Configuration scan or Download (free) Belarc Advisor, click here (used by many Forum members) to help gather such information

If you want to install XP, you will need to buy an XP OS licensed CD/DVD from Dell or buy a Full Retail version

The STOP error you report tends to indicate missing/wrong SATA controller/driver(s)

2 Posts

February 5th, 2010 11:00

Thanks!  Also thanks for correcting the over-specification for this forum newbie.

I see only the required 17 XP drivers.  In prep, I had inventoried with Belarc Advisor, downloaded XP drivers, and imaged the Windows 7 and Repair partitions.  2 of the 3 CDs tried were full retail MS XP Pro.  Thanks for interpreting the STOP error; this seems to implicate the factory-installed but unusual Full-Disk-Encryption SSD.  My next step is to swap in a conventional drive and try to install to it.  Then maybe I can image from that HDD to the SDD.

1.1K Posts

February 5th, 2010 14:00

Using a Full Retail version of XP is OK, but it probably lacks the correct SATA driver(s)

Some change to RAID Autodetect/ATA in BIOS, if available & you don’t need RAID ON?

Otherwise you need to install Intel Matrix Storage Manager files during first part of Windows Setup

Options are:

Install Intel Matrix Storage Manager files using the F6 key method (if you have a floppy)

If no floppy drive then create a slipstreamed XP CD/DVD using Retail XP, blank CD/DVD & the downloaded SATA files, as explained here

You can then either wipe existing SSD HDD or swap it out leaving original Windows 7 installed just in case you want to revert or sell the computer some time in future with the “as original build”

No Events found!