Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2006 00:00

Cannot open My Documents or Windows Explorer to navigate folders and files

Just got my computer a few weeks ago--Dimension E510 with Windows XP Media Center. Have already had a fan failure and upon calling Dell, they wanted me to remove the fan to reset it. Well it was impossible to remove it because the CPU was in the way along with a bunch of cables. So the guy had me unplug and plug it back into the mother board. It seems to have worked because I haven't had that failure again.

However, I've noticed quirky issues since the beginning. I've had various errors when trying to run the preinstalled software and have sent lots of error reports to Windows which is something I had turned off on my old computer.

In the past few days I've noticed that after using the computer for a while, when I try to view My Documents by clicking on one of the many icons, I get the hourglass and then nothing. I then try to right click on Start and choose Explore and the same thing happens....nothing. It happens when I click on Start and choose My Network Places. I cannot seem to view files which is something I always do. I tend to open files by finding the one I want and double-clicking on it instead of opening a program and then searching for the file.

The only way to fix the problem so far is to reboot. However, when I click restart, I will get several errors that programs cannot close. Two that I noticed are:

mim.exe
Proxy Desktop

After I click End Now, then all the windows that I tried to open flash open and close and then the computer reboots. Then everything works for a while. Anyone have a clue what is causing this and how I can fix it?

One other thing, just in case it matters. I bought the Datasave 250 gig hard drive and it came with Norton Ghost running.

Thanks,
Pam
No Responses!
No Events found!