Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2012 07:00

Cant access Dell tools from the support site.

HI all...

I’ve been having some trouble with my ole Dell. First I somehow had lost the ability to use Java. Took me about 2 days working on it here and there but somehow I finally got java working again. I'm still running on Win XP Pro. I thought maybe everything was just getting outdated so tonight I decided to see if I could upgrade my 1 GB of Ram because I own Vista and Win 7 but have hesitated due to 7's 1GB of minimum ram. Haven’t put Vista on because I’ve heard XP service pack 3 is just as good as upgrading to Vista.

Anyhow, I came to the Dell support like I have in the past and first tried to let it look up my service tag. IE 8 crashed. So then I went to the upgrade section and allowed it to survey my machine. That never happened as my browser closed again. So I go to Dell PC Diagnostics. I click agree and i hear a warning beep (I think it was) the page refreshed then crashed.

I was wondering if all those progs ran on Java script and hence Java could still be my problem.

Last week when working on Java, Javas site kept telling me I didn’t have any working Java (I already knew it wasn’t working) and I needed to download it. Well, every time I went to d/l it the crazy thing would error out. So I tried to uninstall from the control panel add and uninstall prog but it wouldn’t let me. I had to down load Revo and another prog just to delete enough stuff to where I could d/l Java to my computer from their manual site to get it installed. It worked, or so I thought.

Any help would be great as I would really like to find out if I can add memory or if I can upgrade anything on this ole Dell. I have newer Dell Laptops but this Desktop has been a GREAT workhorse. I'd hate to have to put it down...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXX-FAMILY
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dell DXP051
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 1/8/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name XXXX-FAMILY\XXXX FAMILY
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 333.62 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks,

Wade...

• 

17K Posts

January 25th, 2012 06:00

wirespider01,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Your system may be needing you to enable javascript in your browser, Click the link below to see how to enable java in your browser.

Enable Java in IE

No Events found!