Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

May 4th, 2008 14:00

Changed Settings

this is something that is very frustrating for me. sometimes my wireless internet stops working on my dell laptop. i have a good connection but i cant go on the internet. so when i restart my computer, all my setting dissapear. my background is gone, my internet setting are gone, and anthing i have saved on the laptop is alos gone. i downloaded norton antivirus and it says i have no virus or spyware. this happens regularly to me about once a week.

why does this happen and how can i stop it from doing this again?

301 Posts

May 4th, 2008 17:00

You stated you downloaded Norton.  Did you not have protection before then?  If not, an infection could be part of the problem.

13 Posts

May 5th, 2008 01:00

i just downloaded norton. but ive had this problem from the very begining. and if i downloaded norton then shouldnt norton take out the problem or atleast let me know?

301 Posts

May 5th, 2008 21:00

If you had your pc connected to the internet with no malware protection you probably do have some sort of infection.  If your pc is infected, that may or may not be part of the problem.  You would think a paid for antivirus product would be able to find and clean the pc, but this is not the case.  Most antivirus providers are playing catchup, the bad guys make the maliscious programs, and then the good guys figure out ways to detect and remove it.  Even though Norton is saying you are clean, there is a good chance it is incorrect. 

Are you able to access the internet at this point from your pc, if so it may be beneficial to donwload and install Malwarebyte's Antimalware from here.  Here are directions for this.  After allowing MBAM to download to your desktop double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. Make sure to click on the update Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. When the program is successfully installed choose to perform a quick or full scan.  After the scan is completed check the entries found by MBAM and click remove selected.  A log will appear and be saved in the logs tab. If MBAM has difficulty removing any infections click OK when presented with any prompts the program gives you. 

If you are unable to access the internet from the pc you are experiencing problems with download MBAM from the above link onto a disk (flash drive, floppy, etc).  Insert the disk into the mentioned pc, and follow the above directions. 

Post your results in this forum and then someone should be able to point you in the right direction. 

301 Posts

May 9th, 2008 16:00

I'm not sure if it will fix the problem, but it will rule out viruses/malware as the cause of your problem.  Yes, you do have protection with Norton, but this program is able to detect infections that Norton cannot.  It is your choice if you want to use the program, in your situation I would.   

13 Posts

May 9th, 2008 16:00

will this program fix my problem because i already have norton and i dont really want to download another program if its gonna do the same thing as norton.

13 Posts

May 9th, 2008 19:00

i downloaded the program and it found 8 things that were affected. i removed and deleted them all. hopefully this will be the solution to my problem.

301 Posts

May 10th, 2008 00:00

Depending on what you had in the log you may still have remnants of the infection on your pc.  Can you go to the logs tab in MBAM and post the contents here.  You may need to run another program to completely clean you pc. 

You may also want to consider keeping MBAM as it is an effective program.  It will check infections that Norton is not programmed to catch. 

No Events found!