Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JI

July 6th, 2009 07:00

Changing icon size

Is it possible to change the size of icons on the WinXP task bar?  I know how to make the task bar wider but that has no effect on the size of the icons on the bar.

2.6K Posts

July 6th, 2009 11:00

Bit of Googling (5 minutes, tops) found a neat trick:

Right click blank area of desktop - Properties to get the Display Properties window.  Then open Appearance tab,  and click Advanced button.    In the dropdown menu, select Caption Buttons, then you can adjust the size (I think the default is 35).    Then Apply and OK.    Probably want to save that setting under Themes too.

EDIT:  There is another way, but it makes the icons pretty big:    Right click the taskbar,  and uncheck "lock the taskbar" if it's on.   Then right-click again and "View" should be the first line in the menu, which gives option for Large or Small icons.

July 6th, 2009 14:00

Alexandra,

Thanks.

John

July 12th, 2009 11:00

Well, it's been a week or so and this make-larger works- every time I do it, which is daily.   

I unlock the taskbar, change the sizes, relock the taskbar.  Then I do it again the next day because the change doesn't last- neither my change to widen the task bar or to make the icons bigger.

John

July 13th, 2009 07:00

Never mind.  I tried the selection on the task bar.  The icons are very large but I'll see if I can live with them.  I wonder if Windows 7 might offer a MEDIUM size selection for task bar icons.    

No Events found!