Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2008 00:00

Changing the Default OS

I have three choices for loading an operating system.  These are installed on 3 partitions of HD 0 shown below:

1.  A newly loaded "Clean install of WinowXP " ----- Drive letter D:\  (Default)

2.  The original install of Windows XP ------ Drive letter C:\

3.  The Recovery Console -------------------No Designation

I want to change the default to C:\

Here's the Boot.ini command:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - on D:\" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - on C:\" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

WILL THE CHANGES SHOWN BELOW SET C:\ AS THE DEFAULT BOOT OS?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - on C:\" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - on D:\" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

I want to be sure I make no mistakes in editing this file or I might be in big trouble.

Jack

253 Posts

July 17th, 2008 11:00

OK

Right click on my computer and choose Properties

Then choose Advanced

Then choose Settings from startup and recovery

See the picture below

Now You should see the picture below

Now from number 3 in the picture you can choose your default operating system

Just open it and choose what ever you want

From number 4 in the picture you can adjust the time of loading the choices operating system

Which mean, if you didn't choose any operating system to login, it will be login automatically after 30 sec.

Good Luck

22 Posts

July 17th, 2008 14:00

alot4u,

Thank you very much.  That's a lot easier than the manual edit approach I was attempting to use.  And probably a lot safer.

Jack

253 Posts

July 17th, 2008 15:00

You welcome

And if every thing goes well, it's better to hit Accept solution button for helping other peoples to find the same solution for their problem.

Good Luck

1 Message

July 21st, 2008 19:00

New to the group. My Inspiron 6000 died, motherboard, now have an Inspiron 1525 Intel Celeron 550 (2.0GHz,533 Mhz, 1m L2 Cache 9XVGPF1 Vista SP1 Home Basic Edition. Want to go back (?) to XP. I have disks and Reg. # so I can install it.

I read your solution and it looks easy, even for me. Couple of things I need to know.

How and where should I install XP? Do I remove Vista? Can I remove my 6000 hard drive and use a usb patch cable to copy all the great stuff I had on the 6000?

This old guy really needs help, thanks in advance   Kevin 

253 Posts

July 21st, 2008 20:00

Hi mkholihan

I think you should open new form 

beter for you and for others.

No Events found!