Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2009 14:00

Clean install of WinXP Home - Driver install order?!?!?

I am preparing to reformat my hard drive (erase) and use my recovery disc to reinstall Windows XP Home Ed. SP2 on a Dimension 8300.   I do not have the RESOURCE DISC, so I am downloading and accumulating drivers as needed.

I am a bit confused regarding the instructions for the "Install Drivers In This Order in Windows," which applies to XP and not VISTA, so applies to me.

I am not finding hardly ANY of these drivers on the driver download page.  Here is the order, per the following link: DRIVER INSTALL ORDER

EXAMPLES:

1.  Desktop System Software (DSS) - under the "System and Configuration Utilities Category - NOT!  I cannot find ANYTHING for this.

2.  Chipset - this one I think I'm okay

3.  Video Adapter - there is no "Video Adapter" driver.  I shoudl be okay, since I have the most current driver for my video card.

4.  Network Interface Card - NOTHING under the "Network Category" or any other.

5.  Audio Adapter - there is NO audio adapter driver that I can find, but there is an audio driver.

6.  Modem - NO WORRIES

7.  Wireless Network Card - NOTHING under the "Network Category."

8.  Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - can't find ANY of these drivers, but no worries... I have wireless keyboard and mouse and driver disc.

Am I just confused or what?  I cannot find many of the drivers listed in DELL'S "Install Drivers In This Order In Windows" list.  I just want to make sure I have everything I will need, before I begin the process and format my hard drive.

ANY HELP? Would be appreciated...

Thanks,

JP

14 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 14:00

Odd. Just about to do the same thing myself once I  get my hands on a recovery disk for the OS.

Anyway...Probably of no help, but when I go into 'support'...'download drivers' page and enter my service tag a list of drivers for my PC.

I asume this is what you are doing but it's not populating the list?

14.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 15:00

Desktop system software: not all systems have this so if none is listed it is not needed.

Video driver there are 15 different drivers listed you will need to know which card you have in your system

NIC: There are two you have either a Broadcom or an intel adapter.

Audio: There are 3 listed. Again you will need to know what hardware is in your system

If you did not get a wireless card at purchase chances are there is not one in the system. There are some listed under the network heading.

The rest are like the first if there are none then the basic function is handled by the OS.

This listing is a general guide and does not mean that all sytems will have  all the devices. Ths is just a recommended way if you have all the devices. So what ever is applicable to your system is what you need to get.

If you don't know what hardware you have in your system go HERE enter your service tag, Select the orginal configuration tab and it will produce your invoice listing of what was in the system when shipped

4.6K Posts

April 4th, 2009 01:00

I don't know where you looked for drivers JP, but it couldn't have been on the Dimension 8300 'Drivers & Downloads' page on the Dell website?

All the drivers you mention are missing, are available for download on that page :emotion-55:

As for the resource CD:  If you don't have all the discs you should've received with the system, you can request backup discs from Dell :emotion-5:

No Events found!