Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2009 08:00

Clock not keeping time, loosing time

I bought a Lap Top Studio 1535 new 6 months ago (no choice Vista OS). Recently it started loosing time or not keeping the correct time. I reset the time manually, synchronized with the clocks in the internet servers listed in the clock settings and it does not keep up the time correctly.  Can some one tell me what the problem might be and how to fix this problem?

80 Posts

March 6th, 2009 15:00

Had a similar problem some time ago with a desktop and solved it by replacing the battery.  From my Dell Documentation:  "A coin-cell battery maintains computer configuration, date, and time information. The battery can last several years. If you have to repeatedly reset time and date information after turning on the computer, replace the battery."   I'm not a Lap Top guy, but I assume you have a power supply battery in addition to a "coin-cell" battery.  It's the latter that might be the issue. 

Before you remove the battery, go to setup and record all your settings which will be lost when power is removed. Be sure to get the + side facing up.

1.1K Posts

March 6th, 2009 19:00

Hi jcpacman

Depends on how much time you are losing, seconds/day or minutes/day?

Bart9 is correct if your Studio 1535 has a dying CMOS (coin-cell CR-2032) type battery

Very & most unusual for a 6 month old computer (normally associated with a computer 6+ years old)

On the assumption that you have already selected correct Time Zone & tried time.nist.gov or time-nw.nist.gov servers & your system clock is still losing time, then try unchecking auto synch

Only other possible cause is that certain software have been known to interfere & slow system clock, historically the culprit tends to be Security (anti virus or firewall) type programs

Only way to check this is to work off-line, disable suspect application & check for time loss over a few days 

If none of above resolve your problem & your Studio 1535 is still under warranty then contact Dell Customer Service a.s.a.p.

Not trying to alarm you but the worst case scenario could be Motherboard or CPU is heading south???   :emotion-60:

No Events found!