Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2007 03:00

Closed laptop screen now comp doesn't remember local settings

I closed my Dell Inspiron 5100 screen, and after opening it back up and clicking my user, the only one on the computer, the computer doesn't remember my settings, even after restarting after making changes (as in desktop icons, start menu preferences, file view stuff, etc) as if it's the first time I've started Windows. I get a message after start up that says something to the effect of the computer can't find local settings. I can't use Eudora now, because for some reason it isn't recognizing where to look for the appropriate files, which is my biggest concern. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2.9K Posts

January 12th, 2007 02:00

Ericconn,
Could you be more specific about the error message you receive regarding local settings?
Tony

2 Posts

January 12th, 2007 14:00

The error message:

Windows cannot locate your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be propagated to the server.

Then after accepting the prompt,

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes to your profile will be lost when you log off.

2.9K Posts

January 12th, 2007 14:00

Ericconn,

Also, this can occur if you attempt to login before the wireless network adapter has time to initialize.  Try waiting 30 seconds or so at Windows Welcome Screen before attempting login.

A bunch of things can cause this error.   Simplest thing would be to run System Restore and restore your computer to a time prior to the problem appearing.

Tony
No Events found!