Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2009 15:00

DELL STUDIO 1735 DUAL BOOT ISSUES

ok so heres my story:

I have purchased a new dell studio 1735 with vista premium 32bit. I'm not a big fan of vista but it does have its great qualities. I was trying to connect my zune to vista and noticed there is no driver as its listed in the device manager even after I install zune software 3.0. So I was doing some reseach and decided to set up a dual boot so I wont have to wait for microsoft to do their job. well in this process i'm halfway succesfull. I have researched alot of websites on how to dual boot but none of them dab on the dell studio bios switching. so far I have both xp and vista installed and I have the vista pro bootloader to fix the dual boot thing, however heres the big issue: I cant actually run both os'. In order for me to run xp, after slipstreaming the install for sata drivers, I have to go into the bios and set it IDE instead of the AHCI defualt setting that is in the bios. so when I set it to IDE xp boots just fine. But when i set it to AHCI xp wont load and i get the BSOD and vista loads up and vice versa. I dont know if im doing something wrong here. I just want to sync my zune with my wicked new studio 1735!! can anybody help me??

February 24th, 2009 19:00

ok so i did some more research and found out some other things to try. I popped in the vista oem disk and did the repair and bootloader trick to have vista fix my boot record, and I booted up xp still under the AHCI setting and got the boot selction screen so that was good. vista booted just fine after the fix however xp is the issue now. I rebooted and left it in the AHCI setting and selected xp and got this the screen:

so then I rebooted and switched it to IDE in the bios and still got that issue. Im stuck now, any one have any ideas????? oh and Vista boots just fine no issues. please help......

3.6K Posts

February 24th, 2009 20:00

When you set the XP partition on the HDD did you set it as Active?....

February 25th, 2009 07:00

no I sure didnt. I dont think I even know how to do that... how would I do that?

3.6K Posts

February 25th, 2009 11:00

When you first set partitions on the drive,you had to create seperate partitions for each OS.You should have created a 20gb at least for vista,and at least 15gb for XP,i believe.Click start>right click "Computer" >manage>disk management>now you should see the partions that are set for the drive,it should be under the C: partition,right click it and select "mark partition as active.

February 25th, 2009 12:00

ok thanks i'll try that. also does it matter which os is on which part the HDD, I have vista on that 20gb partition listed as drive C and xp on the other partition listed as drive D. does that make a difference??

3.6K Posts

February 25th, 2009 15:00

No actually that is how i thought you did it,by deleting the dell utility partition and adding XP.I was going to edit my previous post with that but did not want to confuse you.

So all you need to do is right click on that partition D: and set it as active.

EDIT: one thing though,that partition is normally a FAT32 partition>you will need to make sure it is changed to NTFS partition.And i am afraid you will have to start the whole proccess over,because changing the partition that way will erase it.Just remember when you do get it done,you set it as NTFS and set it as active.To change it to NTFS you will have to format that partition.

February 25th, 2009 16:00

alright well thanks for the good info I will definetly try to set it to active and se what that does. one bit to add tho, when I first started this I copied the dell recovery info to my external HDD and reformated that drive to NTFS just so that way I dont have 2 partitions in different formats. and then I actaully wiped out the whole HDD to try and install xp first and then vista. but after installed vista and then tried to go back to xp is when all this mess started... It would be freakin a miracle if I could just find a driver to have my Zune connect to vista and then I wont have to use XP no more. I have found some lite versions of vista ultimate that I actually like better than just plain ol' vista ultimate full oem. but any way thanks again I think I'll just wipe my HDD again and install vista in IDE instead of AHCI cuz I dont have any SSD's  as I changed it to the 7200rpm 350 gb HDD when i customized the comp through dell. so thanks i'll let you know if I make any progress.... thanks again!!!

3.6K Posts

February 25th, 2009 16:00

O.k,and by the way,my daughters Zune connects perfectly to all of our vista pc's.She uses it thru Sync Center and Microsofts Zune install page.

No Events found!