Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2011 08:00

DELL XP Dimension 4600i MBR Blown, can I get a copy

Is it possible to get a copy of the MBR as above, I have recovered the system from the factory partition, but, would like a copy of the MBR so that F11 etc. can be recovered as well. I would also like a dump of it such that at least I understand what's going on if it does become corrupt by another virus. Any help would be appreciated.

322 Posts

April 15th, 2011 09:00

Hello iangyp

Go HERE and read how to do a repair. Then download the DSRFIX.ZIP and inside of that

file is an ISO file. Burn that file to a CD then boot from it and run dsrfix /f   to rebuild the

DSR as well as install MBR to make the Ctrl + F11 work again.

Hope this helps.

Tom

322 Posts

April 15th, 2011 11:00

Iangyp

The dsrfix cd is a DOS boot cd. Command prompt is all you have. If you burn the iso file

to a cd then boot from it you can use a mbrsaver program to save your MBR then if you

run the dsrfix program it will fix the mbr so as the ctrl + f11 will start the recovery partition.

This program has to be ran from the cd after you boot from it.

Tom

3 Posts

April 15th, 2011 11:00

Tom,

Thanks for your prompt reply, am I correct in assuming that if I use the DSRFIX /F facility it will rewrite the DELL specific MBR format, from which I could save this and then compare it to the MS XP version which I currently have. Thanks once again for your help. Can this DSRFIX be run from the command window as well.?

Kind Regards

3 Posts

April 15th, 2011 14:00

Tom,

I have an ISO image reader so am able to read the image from a virtual CD device, ie. device F:. If I were to run the DSRFIX from a command window would it do the same or does it require raw access to the drive as from DOS environment booted via floppy or CD thereby enabling it to have single access to the boot block etc.

322 Posts

April 15th, 2011 16:00

Hello iangyp

It require raw access to the drive as from DOS environment booted via floppy or CD.

You will have to boot from it.

Tom

No Events found!