Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 6th, 2006 05:00

DLL C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ADVPACK.dll Error

I downloaded an update to my McAfee virus protection program, and ran a clean-up utility that came with it.  After I ran the clean-up, my virus program stopped working.  After attempting to troubleshoot it at the McAfee website, I removed the whole program in order to re-install it.  My problem is that when I try to re-install it, it gets me to the download manager, and then I get the following error message:

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVPACK.dll is not a valid Windows image.  Please check this against your installation diskette.

The problem is first of all I don't have an installation diskette for the program I am trying to download, and now I can not run any setup file for anything.  I tried to install Norton from a disk, and I get the same error message.  I can not download any installation program from the internet.  I tried to run the diagnostic CD that came with my Dell, but that won't even run.

I also got the following error message when attempting something else:

Error Code 0x7e  WINDOWSXPSetup Setup library FXSOCM.dll could not be loaded or function FaxOcmSetupPrac

Now I don't even have an anti-virus program on my computer, and I'm afraid that I will end up with a real mess on my hands if I don't resolve this fast.  My daughter was on-line earlier today and a window popped up and said something about deleting files, then it completed deleted my favorites list in IE.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 and I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you!

Message Edited by sds8184 on 08-06-200601:03 AM

Message Edited by sds8184 on 08-06-200601:05 AM

12.7K Posts

August 6th, 2006 15:00

Do a start Run and type in  sfc /scannow     a space between sfc and /

2 Posts

August 8th, 2006 00:00

I ran the sfc /scannow and it did nothing :smileysad:  neither did a system restore

but thanks for the suggestion

Message Edited by sds8184 on 08-07-200608:23 PM

12.7K Posts

August 8th, 2006 00:00

It means the install disc for XP not your program.  ADVPACK.dll Description:
advpack.dll assists with hardware and software installs by reading and verifying .INF files, It is part of Internet Explorer so
It is a windows error but may becaused by the anti-virus software installation. Can you download the program to your harddrive and run it from there? If you have SP2 installed the only way to repair Internet Explorer is to reinstall SP2 according to microsoft. Then you have to do all your windows security updates again.

You can use AVG Free antivirus, works well.

Message Edited by mombodog on 08-07-200609:16 PM

No Events found!