Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

August 4th, 2007 01:00

Data Execution Prevention-Vista Home Premium

I cannot open or download any pdf files in Vista. I have tried all that I know of to get DEP to allow it but have had no luck. Do not want to disable it. Anybody have some wisdom and know how out there.

1.9K Posts

August 4th, 2007 07:00

Do you have the Adobe PDF Reader installed?

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but I have seen it before.

If so are you sure that DEP is preventing you from downloading and opening the *.PDF files? I've never seen this before.

This is what someone posted in another forum that was having issues with DEP and his workaround:

I ran across one that read "many users are experiencing this issue if they have AMD 64 processors." This is what my dad has on his computer.

Anyway, the procedure for the work-around is:
1. Create the DEP error first and click whatever buttons are necessary to get back to the desktop.
2. Start-> Control Panel->double-click System-> Advanced Tab
3. under Performance, click Settings.
4. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
5. Select the " Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select."
*note* (In my case, since MS Explorer created the error, it is listed in the menu)
6. Put a check in the box and re-boot your computer.

Maybe this will work for you also.

pcgeek11

2 Posts

August 4th, 2007 15:00

Yes, I have Adobe Reader 7.09. Yes and that would be a fair queston since I have not explained myself very well. Now in reference to the same issue I will add that when I go to a page in IE 7 and click on a pdf to open it DEP shuts down IE. I have the option set in DEP to "turn on for all except those I select." I have added Acrobat Reader, Acrobat Speedlauncher, and IE. The problem still persists.
But wait.........
I have, however, just recently had a breakthrough. I went to preferences in the reader itself and un-checked display PDF in browser. That seemed to work and Adobe opened the file ILO IE opening it in the new window it opens.
IE is opening a new window or tab, which ever I have selected in Internet options, then Adobe Reader opens the file. Is there a work around so IE does not need a new window or tab? After I close Adobe, the empty window or tab is still open. 

1.1K Posts

August 4th, 2007 17:00

Why don't you update to version 8.1.0 that fixed some issues with version 7. It's been out a couple of months now.

August 14th, 2007 23:00

Set DEP to "essential Windows programs and services only" instead of "all programs except those I select"

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2007 01:00

I have not had any problems with Adobe, but I would like to know if anyone has found a way to disable the **** ******* Data Execution Prevention ****. I find this to be very anoying, I have had many problems with DEP and the web, web pages I used to go to I can no longer get to because of the DEP. You would think that Microsoft would set up a way to allow access if you really want to go there or to run a program. I understand the principle behind the DEP, but come on give the user a choice.
No Events found!