Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2007 22:00

Deleting desktop icons

I want to get rid of some icons that are now displayed on the desktop. If I rigtht click, it states it will move the program to the recycle bin. I just want to get rid of the icon, not the program. How do I do this?

Thanks BSA

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

September 7th, 2007 23:00

It depends on what desktop icon you are trying to delete. Some desktop icons are shortcuts of programs. For example, to create a shortcut of the icon onto a desktop, you'd right click on the program in the Start Menu and click "Send to--> Desktop." It automatically creates a desktop shortcut icon. If the program is the desktop icon, such as the Recycle Bin, I'm not sure if that's even possible. Some desktop icons need to stay there and can't be removed.

Message Edited by S.C on 09-07-2007 07:13 PM

17 Posts

September 7th, 2007 23:00

The shortcut icons are safe to remove. They should have a arrow at the bottom left.

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

September 8th, 2007 01:00

Oh, wow. I didn't know that. Learn a new thing every day. Thanks for the information, GioAguilar.

1.9K Posts

On Vista even the Recycle bin can be removed by right click and click on delete... Nor like XP where we had to go to the registry and remove the recycle bin with a key... Now it is easy to remove for those who don't like icons on the desktop...

1.9K Posts

Always... :smileywink:

2 Intern

• 

366 Posts

September 8th, 2007 05:00

I accidentally deleted my recycle bin....I managed to get it back but the animation (bin full of paper) doesnt work any more.....when i rang Dell they said do a system restore....Not something I wanna do yet for a week old machine.

Col

1.9K Posts

September 8th, 2007 19:00

Right click on the desktop, go to the properties, on the left side click on change desktop icons, there's an option to restore default for that "animation" make sure the recycle bin is checked on the top.

2 Intern

• 

366 Posts

September 9th, 2007 01:00

OK, there are 2 to choose from..."full" & "empty"....have tried both.....and then tried deleting something and icon remains on empty....sometimes it shows full and stays full even after emptying.....very strange.

Appreciate your help :-)

Col

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2007 16:00

Hello:
I saw this forum string on deleting desktop icons and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about deleting an icon that just can't be deleted in conventional ways, no matter which way I try,
I have tried all conventional ways and used Norton Systemworks, and I was able to delete the file that I downloaded from AOL, but the desktop shortcut icon remains no matter how I try to delete it?
Thx in advance for ant help anyone can provide!

549 Posts

November 3rd, 2007 21:00

Did you try safemode

2 Posts

March 8th, 2008 10:00

I'm trying to delete some icons but  it won't even let me right click at them, windows explorer has stop working and the next window said it will restart windows explorer...help:smileymad:

50 Posts

March 8th, 2008 12:00

@BSA70 wrote:
I want to get rid of some icons that are now displayed on the desktop. If I rigtht click, it states it will move the program to the recycle bin. I just want to get rid of the icon, not the program. How do I do this?
Thanks BSA

This might sound silly but what I did is create a folder that is displayed on the desktop called "Unused Desktop Items", just like in XP.  I then move all the icon I do not want displayed on the desktop to this folder.  I only have "Computer", "Unused Desktop Items" and the Recycle bin on the desktop. I have not been able to find the Vista equivalent to the XP "Unused Desktop Item" program.

549 Posts

March 8th, 2008 12:00

Start a new thread with your problem. You will get more help that way.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2008 12:00

Yes I did, since I read in some similar problems, it does the same.
Thanks

50 Posts

March 9th, 2008 12:00

@rgoehler wrote:
Hello:
I saw this forum string on deleting desktop icons and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about deleting an icon that just can't be deleted in conventional ways, no matter which way I try,
I have tried all conventional ways and used Norton Systemworks, and I was able to delete the file that I downloaded from AOL, but the desktop shortcut icon remains no matter how I try to delete it?
Thx in advance for ant help anyone can provide!

Do the program for the icon perhaps have an option not to display on the desktop? I have one program (Network Magic) that the only way I can remove the icon from the desktop is via an option in the program.
No Events found!