Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2007 20:00

Dell 355 Bluetooth Driver for Vista - Problem solved

Hello everyone!

Finally after 6 months of using Dell Inspiron E1705, I finally found out a solution to my bluetooth problem. Previously I published the thread about my Bluetooth 355 with EDR always not being active after the restart. For example, I will install Widcomm drivers and work with BT for a while. I put the computer to Stand by, resume it, and still work with BT. But as soon as I turned the laptop off or restarted Windows, the Bluetooth became inactive. The blue light was on, the BT icon was there, but whenever I tried to change the setting such as Computer Visibility, it gave me the Bluetooth Service Error, stating that the BT may be disconnected. So I had to Fn+F2 or to disable and reenable BT to make it work again....again until the next restart. Totally uncool!

I had 4 dispatches for the Bluetooth, and although one of those was for BT 350, it was not Vista compatible, so I stayed with 355. And none of those solved the problem! About 2 days ago I got tired of it, uninstalled Widcomm 6.XXX drivers, and installed the BT 355 stack for Windows XP v.5.XXX on Vista. Yes, I had about 10 messages during the install telling me that the drivers are NOT digitally signed, and now I have the same messages in Event Viewer in Failure Audit section, however the stack installed correctly and the Bluetooth device works all the time everytime, whether laptop is on, restarted, or after I turned it off. (Widcomm 5 stack doesn't simply enhance Vista stack, as 6.XXX is doing, but it offers its own software, which is nice)

However, I didn't understand why in the world would the old stack work and the new one not working... So yesterday I went to anycom website and they had a newer BT stack for their 200-250 USB bluetooth dongles. I uninstalled the Widcomm 5 and installed the Anycom stack. (I think version 6.0.1.4700) The Bluetooth worked great... Finally I thought, maybe the new stack will provide a  driver which would make Dell's stack work nicely. So I tried what Dell originally offers for Vista, Widcomm 6 for Vista. When I reinstalled it, the BT was showing the same error. I reinstalled Anycom and the error was still there. So I found the problem - When you install Widcomm 5 for XP on Vista, the BT 355's ROM is flashed, and it works good. When I installed Anycom after that, Anycom didn't flash it, so the old ROM software worked great with new stack and drivers as well. However, Dell's Widcomm 6 also flashes BT, and after that flash, the BT doesn't work as it is supposed to. So therefore, when I reinstall Anycom after Widcomm 6, it doesn't work well. Therefore there is no other choice but to use Dell's stack for Windows XP and stay with it, or upgrade that one to Anycom stack, but not Widcomm 6 offered by Dell for Vista. (Basically - Widcomm 6.xxx stack flashes the bad software onto the device - I reinstalled that one twenty times, so it is the BT ROM software that is bad, not anything else.)

Although I don't see any issues with the old stack working on my Vista, I always like having new software. So I was wondering - is there any way to remove the function of flashing BT ROM when installing Widcomm 6? Or to maybe replace the files with Widcomm 5 flash software, so if re-flashed, the working software will be downloaded onto the device? What do you guys think about this issue? Has anyone resolved it the other way? And is Dell going to publish a new Stack which would work as well as the one for Windows XP?

I hope my solution helps to everyone who is having trouble with their BT 355 on Vista, and possibly give some ideas to Dell that a change is required with the Flashing Software and/or the enhancement of the Bluetooth Stack.

Thanks!

Eugene

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Dell Inspiron E1705: Centrino Duo Computer
Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.866 GHz D-0 (Yonah)
17" WXGA+ Screen by AU Optronics
2 GB RAM at DDR2-533 by Hyundai Electronics
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 MB Graphics Card with Hypermemory
120 GB 5400 RPM Hard Disk Drive by Samsung
Dell Bluetooth 355 + EDR Technology
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 a/b/g 54 Mbps
Sigmatel High Definition Audio
Sony DVD+-RW with DL Support

15 Posts

July 10th, 2007 18:00

I have had the same trouble ( with MS keyboard and mouse) for 3 months and have spent countless hours on the phone to Dell and MS,  Only yesterday, after 3 months of denial, did Dell admit to a problem.  This is from Dell:

I checked for the issue with the Windows Vista team. I would like to inform you that it is a common issue with the wireless mouse on Windows Vista and the teams are already working on it.

They have already released a fix for the Logitech mouse and that was also for this specific issue where the scroll feature does not function. It is there on our website but is not applicable to the mouse that you have. However as it is a known issue so very soon a fix might be in place.

So, may they will come up with something,, but in the meantime I would like to do what you did.  How much trouble would it be to list for me a 1,2,3 list of what to do.  Some of your description was a tad over my old head.........Thaks!  kw

133 Posts

July 11th, 2007 00:00

Hello!

This was not hard at all. Simply go to support.dell.com, click Drivers and Downloads, enter your service tag or select your system. There, rather than selecting Vista as your OS, select Windows XP and download the XP Driver. Then install it. While installing, the Vista will warn you about 10 times that the Driver is not digitally signed. Don't worry - just push to continue installing. It will seem like it will take forever, as the progress bar won't move till about 9 Warning messages. And after that, it will say that everything installed successfully. And you will have the old drivers and old stack, which in my case works so wonderful, I even forgot all the stress I had to go thru with the Vista stack.

Before you perfom all this, make sure you remove the Widcomm 6 stack from Programs and Features. In case one day Vista Update will let you know that the new drivers are available, don't get those - stay with original XP 5.XXXXX drivers until Dell releases the fix. The old drivers work great! And be sure that when you install the XP Stack, the BT should be turned on, as the setup flashes the card, which might be the fix (I believe Stack for Vista flashes the no-good software) - as I assume at this point of time. Let me know how everything works.

Eugene

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Dell Inspiron E1705: Centrino Duo Computer
Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.866 GHz D-0 (Yonah)
17" WXGA+ Screen by AU Optronics
2 GB RAM at DDR2-533 by Hyundai Electronics
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 MB Graphics Card with Hypermemory
120 GB 5400 RPM Hard Disk Drive by Samsung
Dell Bluetooth 355 + EDR Technology
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 a/b/g 54 Mbps
Sigmatel High Definition Audio
Sony DVD+-RW with DL Support

15 Posts

July 11th, 2007 05:00

Thanks Eugene.  You helped me more in 10 minutes than Dell has in probably 40 hours.  So far, everything is working.  I reset twice, and turned the PC all the way off once, then rebooted, and the mouse is working with all functions just fine.  The keyboard did not want to work after 1 reboot, but I think I may have that worked out.  My Bluetooth remote also works.  I can live without the keyboard until Dell has a permanent fix if I have to.  I only got it to use when I an connected to a big TV so I can use it from across the room.  I hit a pothole in the road every now and then, but in the end, all is well Thanks again.  I'll let you know after a few days if it continues like this.

July 22nd, 2007 20:00

Interesting. I've purchased an Inspiron 9400 ("The Slab") running Vista Premium with both a 54g and 355 Bluetooth card. Straight "out of the box" BT and wifi didn't want to play ball - one would cause the other to drop their link forcing at least a FN+F2 or at worst a reboot. Whatever Dell Support suggested didn't work, and in the end after numerous blue screens I had to do a factory restore. So, the two radios weren't working together. I was disconnected from my home network (i.e. wifi was off) and was listening to the latest Jean Michel Jarre via bluetooth headphones when suddenly the audio cut off. It was User Account Control requesting authorisation to continue, so I clicked OK and - nothing. Bluetooth audio was - to put it blankly - knackered. No switching BT on & off via FN+F2 would help; only a reboot would fix the issue. So I tested BT keyboards / mice / PDAs with very mixed results; it appears the BTUSB service gets locked down when an UAC event occurs and depending on faith, trust & pixie dust I might get a working BT link back with the device afterwards. So I turned UAC off. Vista complains like fury but since doing that wifi & Bluetooth have co-existed nicely on "The Slab"... Not sure if this might help any other Dellites out there but in my case UAC is turned off until the internal USB connection to the BT card is left on during an UAC event.

12.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2007 21:00

Thanks for sharing the homework,  The Slab.....  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:

July 22nd, 2007 21:00

The BTUSB thing came to light when Dell said they'll send new Wifi & Bluetooth cards.  I read the user instructions to replace these cards, then noticed BT was running via USB.  A simple check of the event logs then revealed the BTUSB service dropping like flies...

As for "The Slab", if you own an Inspiron 9400 you'll know what I mean!!!

12.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2007 22:00

"As for "The Slab", if you own an Inspiron 9400 you'll know what I mean!!!"

Thats why I was laughing.

And here is the Grand Slab of Dell Portables,  XPS  M2010

XPS m2010 

14 Posts

July 30th, 2007 16:00

Eugene, I wanted to update the BT problem with my Inspiron 1720.....the XP BT drivers aren't working much better than the 355 BT Vista drivers. Hopefully Dell will release drivers within the month that will help. Thanks again.

July 30th, 2007 18:00

I tend to diagree as I have problems using old ( ver 5.0) drivers.
Two things are crucial to me - Skype support -where skype autoconnects to my headset and audio gateway function ( A2DP) support both are not offered by the older drivers.

Although I would prefer a better version as sometime schanging from one tab to another takes ages in BT control panel- the panel just freezes before coming online after few minutes.

August 6th, 2007 03:00

This worked Great for my Inspiron 9400 Vista Business. Just loaded the XP Bluetooth drivers and they replaced the Dell Vista drivers with working ones!!! Way easy and I didn't have to take the BT Mouse back, and I don't have to use a hardwired mouse now! Thanks eugene89us!

August 6th, 2007 08:00

Whats the likelihood of Dell releasing the Widcomm 6.1 drivers / software?  Widcomm released them to OEM's around the end of June'07...

3 Posts

August 27th, 2007 20:00

I have a e1505, vista home pre, and a dell 355 bluetooth. i get a blue screen error for btwavdt.sys when using my headset on skpe. i was unable to update the drivers for the 355. dell had me do hours of teck support and finally said that i had to get a new 355 card. that since it used to be on a xp OS it could not update to vista drivers. i am waiting for the card, but in the meantime i took the card out then put it back in and wa able to update the drives to a newer on, although not the most recent. i will c if the problem is solved.

20 Posts

September 1st, 2007 22:00

btwavdt.sys gives me a BSOD when connecting to my cellphone as an audio device.  This is my first computer with Vista and after having it download about 600 megs of updates, less than a week after having it, I get my first BSOD.  What gives?

3 Posts

September 19th, 2007 15:00

after hours of tech support and dell sending me a new 355 card. i still had the bsod error. my error message said that btwavdt.sys was the issue. so i found a newer version of the file on the internet, 6.0.1.4400 (prev was 6.0.1.3000) an over wrote it in the windows/system32/drivers folder. then i went to the device manager and clicked to update my bluetooth headset drivers. i asked it to check my computer for the specific drivers in the folder i got from the internet. so far my problems are solved! no thanks to dell. if u do some web searches u will find that dell is using very old version of widcomm. they should get to updating already

Message Edited by bastion2 on 09-19-2007 11:36 AM
No Events found!