Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2004 01:00

Dell 8300 upgrade to MCE2005

I have a 8300 with MCE 2004 on it and would like to upgrade to 2005. I've read that Dell is not giving out the upgrade or worse, not even offering how to upgrade for $$'s. Now this doesn't settle well, and of course I have to think long and hard as to whether I will continue buying Dell machines. I have had great luck with their equipment but this is really bothering me.

Anyhow, I've read where to buy MCE2005 but my question is what would be the best tuner and graphics card setup for this machine. I guess I would just remove the worthless All in Wonder Radeon M9 TV tuner/graphic card.

Please help and thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 24th, 2004 16:00

Medummy,

Read this thread.

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2004 01:00

Purchased my 8300 in March 2004 with XPMCE2004 and want to get an MC extender.

I read the solution suggested by bvandette using the new ati E HOME card and an oem mce2005. However, I am a little concerned with the loss of functionality of other software and devices.(newbie)   

Will Dell sell you a new ATI and then give you a discounted MCE'05 upgrade and support both?

Will the ehome solution work with extender?

Thank you

7 Posts

December 5th, 2004 21:00

I'd love to get the Dell answer that goes something like this: "We recommend the following upgrade to a new TV tuner card (Card XYZ) and if you buy that from us we'll give you an upgrade to MCE2005 with full support".  What are the odds of that?

5 Posts

December 5th, 2004 22:00

I'll give it two chances - Slim and none by the response I got from Dell.

7 Posts

December 5th, 2004 23:00

I just don't get it.  You'd think it would be in their interest to sell new tv/tuner cards and therefore new extenders, etc.  Bad business move by Dell in my opinion.

5 Posts

December 6th, 2004 13:00

you are correct, here is the email I received from DELL tech supprt:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is only available on specific Dell
systems with special hardware requirements.

An upgrade from Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional to Windows XP
Media Center Edition is not available.

In addition, there is no upgrade available for Windows XP Media Edition
2004 to the Windows XP Media Edition 2005.

Dell provides support for the installation of the original operating
system version that was purchased with the Dell system.

looks like I will go with the ehome solution - does it support extenders?

7 Posts

December 6th, 2004 17:00

Even worse they are referencing links to those who have purchased new cards to upgrade when this is clearly not necessary.  I suppose they hope you will buy the new tuner card from Dell!!  But alas, its not the first time nor will it be the last the consumer knows more than the tech support.

7 Posts

December 6th, 2004 17:00

You do not have to upgrade your graphics card to get support for MCE05. Many have succesfully used the 9000 Low Pro with custom drivers.  It may take a little work but read here: http://www.xpmce.com/forum/ftopic84639.html    

Basically Dells excuse for not providing the upgrade given lack of support for the aiw 9000 lp is just a lame excuse.  Since we could either use these drivers or upgrade ourselves.  Face it they have your money and now all they look at is bottom line.  But we should all complain to Dell about there not offering an upgrade.  I may never buy a Dell again depending on how they handle this. 

7 Posts

January 15th, 2005 01:00

dougnoles-

did you ever get an answer to your question?  I'm with you--I just want to buy whatever new tv tuner/video card will work flawlessly with MCE 2005 (if one exists).  Don't want to deal with software deficiencies by doing the cheapo upgrade necessarily.  I just want no more pc lockups, I want to get an extender, and I want a better picture on my screen when I watch dvd's and tv.  Any suggestion?  Dell suggested ATI All-in-wonder 9800.  I of course don't trust them.  Do you know?

7 Posts

January 15th, 2005 17:00

Well if you want the best picture and pvr capabilities go with a hauppage pvr-150, or pvr-500 for dual tuner support (good luck finding the 500) and for a video card I suggest any nvidia 6600/6800.  That should provide you with the state-of-the-art without breaking the bank.  And will be a much better option than the AIW 9800.  Or if you wanted to wait ATI is coming out with a new tv tuner, the TV Woder Elite, using their new Theater 550 Pro chip.  Heres the link http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2005/4810.html

And if you really want the best DVD picture quality I would not even use MCE05 but zoom player pro or theatertek with dscaler and ffdshow which is far superior.  If that sounds like greek the check out www.htpcnews.com or www.avsforum.com

FYI after upgrading to MCE05 and using hacked drivers with the AIW 9000 LP I had no problems with lockups and much improved performance.  And extenders worked fine with it.
No Events found!