Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2011 16:00

Dell Client System Update - runs at startup but gives erroneous messages

I have just set up 3 new Precision laptops and five Optiplex 790 (2 tower, 3 mini) systems.

On all of the machines the DCSU starts up during initial setup of the machine and identifies and downloads several updates.

On the 790s, it reports two update failed: Intel Unified AMT 7 Management Interface and a Realtek driver.

I can reboot the 790s, and it reports both updates (same as above) and it reports one installed successfully and one failed.

Rebooting and rerunning, it goes back to saying the same two are available... and if I hit update, again one fails and one succeeds... but both will show up again after bootup.

On the laptops it reports one failed, but on reboot and rerunning it, it shows three updates available.

-Intel Unified AMT 7 Management Interface

-Intel Wifi link 6300

-Dell Multitouch touch pad.

Clicking install now ends up reporting that 2 were successful and one failed.

After reboot, all three are again available.

Anyone else see this or know of a fix?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tomster2

72 Posts

October 17th, 2011 13:00

Additional info... I went to the Dell website and downloaded one of the updates directly from the website... it installed successfully... but when I scanned for updates with the DCSU, It was still listed as an available update.

1 Message

November 21st, 2011 16:00

Same here on M6600 with W7 x64. 7 updates, 3 failed. Reboot. 3 updates, 1 failed. Reboot. 7 updates again. Installing one at a time does not seem to help.

November 22nd, 2011 21:00

I got M6600 fewdays ago. I have a same troublle. I called the Pro support last week. Past 3days but the Dell Profesional support could not solve this problem they could not know whats wrong HDD? Cpu? I/O? OS? update site? Client update itself? nothing.

I am very scare of this problem. becouse of if the critcal update is nessesary it can not update automaticaly.

My previous M65 was broken by Nvidia Gpu problem becouse of no Update.No recall  No info from Dell even they

konw who bought, only up the info on theri website. Who gose to check their PC supplyer web site every month?

Win 7  64bit / 8gb / i5 / HDD750 x2 / Raid1 / AMD firepor / xp mode / wifi / bluetooth / DVD etc

13 Posts

December 8th, 2011 07:00

I had similar issues on Optiplex 790 and Latitude E6520 -- it shows multiple updates, it installs them, I rerun it and it shows more  updates needed than even the first time. I manually downloaded some to run them and it said they were installed already. This software is clearly very poor.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2011 13:00

I can verify the same "failed" install with the multi-touch update on the laptop. I'm using a m6600 running win 7 64bit. I haven't called pro-support yet or tried individual install without the update manager. I'll update this thread if any of those steps resolve the issue. Other than this one "failed" install and the 3 re-occurring updates found (Stated in the initial post), it all seems to be working well other than that.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 16:00

I'm getting 3 repeating updates, with 1 failing every time.  Is Dell aware of the issue and working on a fix?

January 5th, 2012 14:00

I have a client with this same issue on a brand new Latitude E6520 and he is not happy paying me to fix a machine I recommended to him!

DCSU v1.2.2 is repeatedly downloading 7 updates.  All install successfully except an ancient, outdated multi-touch driver.  I even re-installed the current driver  A10 and it is still downloading and trying to install the R281722 A07 driver dated 9/19/10.  The really bad thing is the successful installs are not recognized as installed after the (un-requested) system reboot and it does not remember that I asked not to install the bad update.  (And what is with that useless checkbox to select "Reboot when necessary"?  The system reboots whether or not it is checked!)

There is another thread about this problem over on the Enterprise Client Forum that has been going since last June with a similar lack of useful response.

I have told my client to just disable the DCSU as it is apparently quite useless.  I'm probably going to have to eat the time I spent chasing this problem to keep him happy, which does not make me happy...

...James Hansen
Canyon Country Consulting

January 17th, 2012 07:00

Same on Latitude E6420, new out of the box

1 Message

January 25th, 2012 02:00

Same problem with Dell Client System Update version 1.2.2 on two E6420, one E6520 and four E6320.

It's has been like that since November 2011! It's really time for Dell to fix this issue. 

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 15:00

I updated Client System Update to version 1.2.3 on my Latitude E5520.  It is horrible.  Alternately, it says to update drivers it already updated, lists drivers which seem to be older than what I have installed or drivers installation fails.  A tech support rep told me he hadn't heard of this utulity.  The online driver list did have a tool to analyze the system and recommend drivers but that feature seems to have been recently removed.  Results from that analyis could change from one attempt to another.  I recently wrote an e-mail back to ProSupport with specific questions about some of the drivers and have received no reply.  This is really poor and I can't believe that it continues.

No Events found!