Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TW

March 25th, 2018 17:00

Dell Dimension 4600 - Windows XP Device Manager PCI Input Device & Multimedia Audio Controller

So, I got a Dell Dimension 4600. I installed Windows XP Home Edition, and it has Service Pack 3, but after I installed all the drivers it seems, Device Manager under, Other Devices, it lists two devices, Multimedia Audio Controller, and PCI Input Device. I looked through this forum seeing if there was a solution, fortunately, I did only to see that the person who originally posted it, was using Vista and simply was trying to get his machine working with the end result of him being lectured that Dell doesn't make drivers for Windows Vista. And yes, I know that Windows XP support ended on April 8th 2014.

PS: Sound does work and I did install the chipset drivers.

Link to Device Manager image

Help will be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 26th, 2018 12:00

@That-Windows-Guywrote:

So, I got a Dell Dimension 4600. I installed Windows XP Home Edition, and it has Service Pack 3, but after I installed all the drivers it seems, Device Manager under, Other Devices, it lists two devices, Multimedia Audio Controller, and PCI Input Device. I looked through this forum seeing if there was a solution, fortunately, I did only to see that the person who originally posted it, was using Vista and simply was trying to get his machine working with the end result of him being lectured that Dell doesn't make drivers for Windows Vista. And yes, I know that Windows XP support ended on April 8th 2014.

PS: Sound does work and I did install the chipset drivers.

Link to Device Manager image

Help will be appreciated.

There are 4 different audio drivers.

PCI Input Device may be the modem.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 4th, 2018 21:00

This system is ancient from 2003 and Windows XP has Reached End of Life in April 2014. The last Dell Desktop Windows XP capable is the OptiPlex 790 from 2011.

Driver Installation Order is extremely important for Windows XP... Dell System Software, Chipset Drivers and then the Modem Drivers must be installed before the Video Driver and Audio Driver otherwise Audio does not function correctly.

No Events found!