Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2013 10:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Wireless Issue

I recently updated my Dell Inspirion 15 3521 laptop's operating system to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8. When the computer finished, I noticed there wasn't a Network Icon in the tray. On further inspection, the System Tray Icons for the Action Center, and Network are disabled, and grayed out (I'm not able to change them). Now this really isn't a big issue, since I can still connect to networks with the System Setting start screen app. However, in the Network and Sharing Center, the sidebar link to manage adapters does nothing. Since the update, I cannot manage my adapters at all. I dug around in the dell drivers and there is a read me for the wireless driver that gives very vague information. Here is the path; C:\Dell\Drivers\W9F25\WLAN and what it recommended; "By default, the tray icon is disabled and hidden. The user can show the tray icon in the notification area by opening the utility, clicking on the View menu, and then clicking the Show Utility Icon. " I did some more googling and read about some WLAN Utility, but it's not a program offered in the drivers section form my laptop, and apparently (don't quote me on this) it was phased out of newer systems because it caused problems. I've pretty much wandered aimlessly through my hard drive looking for some way to re-enable windows control of the adapters, and googled for hours. I figure it's time for another opinion. Thanks!

Current System: 

Windows Windows Version 6.2 (Build 9200)
CPU Info Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2127U @ 1.90GHz
Display Adapters Intel(R) HD Graphics | Intel(R) HD Graphics
Network Network Present
Network Adapters Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter | Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ) | Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) | Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Manufacturer * Dell Inc.
Product Make * Inspiron 3521
Motherboard * Dell Inc. 0FXP6Y
SM BIOS A11

[If you need more information, just ask! I'll be happy to provide!]

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 24th, 2013 10:00

If you can request a Windows 8.0/8.1 Reinstallation DVD from Dell and clean install see my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 8.1: http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

If you cannot procure media restore to factory settings, uninstall McAfee and all preinstalled software and carry out the following procedure: http://philipyip.wordpress.com/download-microsoft-windows/upgrading-to-windows-8-1-from-windows-8-0-via-the-microsoft-store/

The first solution is recommended over the second (which tries to clean the factory install as much as possible before upgrading).

1 Message

May 23rd, 2014 02:00

i have a problem in instaling wifi driver

No Events found!