Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2013 19:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with Windows 7 restore to original factory condition

I have a dell inspiron 1545 laptop, I tried to do a factory restore tried it from the laptop when it came to the part log in as a user who has administrative credentials it had the name of my laptop that I had given it but I could not type in the word adminstrator. It did allow me to go to next page but only option there was restore to earlier point, fix problems something like that, and command prompt should not get to the, click Dell Factory Image Restore Window, so I used the windows 7 disk that came with laptop did the restore. When shutting down computer it makes a popping noise every time shutting it down now. Did this once before when I took the laptop to a local store I had purchased it from and they did a factory restore. Got it home shut it down and same noise, laptop was still under warranty at the time so I call the tech support with extended warranty and tech knew right away what it was and he told me what to do and it fixed the problem. Now I can't find anyone that has even heard of it to help me. Did research online and found, try running a system diagnostics so I used t he F12 key and ran the test no problems founded except at a certain point got this message:                                                                                                                                 (Pre-boot system assessment complete. No Diagnostics utility Partition identified. Please select ok to reboot your system).                                                          Did more research online and found this (Utility partition that hold the diagnostics is missing or deleted). Please I really need help with this going to get a work from home job and need this laptop so please help. I went to the device manager and had no yellow icon showing driver not there they are were there. I hope there is help for this laptop. I am not a computer tech and really don't know that much but will do all I can to save this laptop.

1.5K Posts

March 27th, 2013 21:00

Hi Willowangel,

As you have re installed Windows 7, please ensure that all the updated drivers are installed on the system. To install the drivers in correct order, please refer to the link: http://dell.to/XXS52y. I would also recommend you to update the system BIOS.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:

*Battery is 10%> charged

*Battery charger should be connected

*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.

*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

You may download and install the latest drivers and BIOS from the link below:

http://dell.to/N6u34S

On the link, enter the system Service Tag and click on ‘Continue’. Select the operating system and it will display a list of available downloads. From the list select the applicable option. Click ‘Download File’ and follow the on screen instructions.

There can be various reasons for the popping noise. To isolate what exactly is causing the issue, please share from which side of the system you are getting the noise.

If possible, please share a video of the system while shutting down.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to assist further.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 28th, 2013 05:00

As you have deleted your diagnostics partition during manual installation of Windows 7, you will need to create a diagnostics bootable CD or USB. See Running Dell Diagnostics page 412 in my Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

You can use this disc to run the full diagnostics tests.

A Clean Install of Windows 7 will help guide you through the installation process also.

March 28th, 2013 10:00

Noise seems to come from right side of laptop the system does not do anything different just makes the noise shutting down. Only other time it made this noise was with the last system restore and it was a quick fix I should have written it down while the tech was telling me what to do. All drivers seem to be okay in device manager. I think all the drivers are there when I go to the device manager none of the drivers show a yellow triangle. I did do the bios but not sure if I did it right. I read on one of the dell forum that you could burn this to a disk winpe_86.iso and this will bring back the dell frame image for the recovery partition that is missing due to using the windows 7 disk wiping it out.

Download and burn this bootable WINPE image with imagex included ( www.dropbox.com/.../winpe_x86.iso )

Will I need to do this I would like to be able to use the laptop for the restore rather than the disk I did get them with the laptop.

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Willowangel,

The optical drive of the system is located at the right side, so the popping noise might be coming from the optical drive.

Please ensure there is no disk in the drive. You may also update the firmware for optical drive. To update the firmware follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘DVD/CD ROM drives’.
  • Right click on the entry listed under it and click ‘Uninstall’.
  • You may download and install the latest drivers from the link: http://dell.to/N6u34S
  • On the link, enter the system Service Tag and click on ‘Continue’. Select the operating system as Windows 7 x64 and it will display a list of available downloads.
  • From the list select ‘Removable Storage’ option. Choose the optical drive firmware for your system. Click ‘Download File’ and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to assist further

No Events found!