Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 20:00

Dell Inspiron 531 & Windows 7

I am trying to do a clean install of the Windows 7 x64 on my Inspiron 531.

After the first reboot, it goes to load into Windows, and I get nothing but a blank screen, and the LCD goes to sleep.

I've installed Win7 on several machines thus far, many even with older hardware, so I can't imagine that Win7 wouldn't have a built in driver for the video card.  I also can't imagine that I've the first to install Win7 on this type of box, but google tells me I'm the only one with this issue.

Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 6th, 2009 07:00

Since Win 7 (RTM) has not been released to "consumers" (that is Oct 22)  there probably isn't a large database of problems.  The video will be in the basic "VGA mode" (as it is at boot up) until either Windows loads a driver or the user loads the correct video driver so that is probably not the problem.

Have you went back and reformatted the hard drive and started over?  Also keep in mind (when Win 7 installs) the correct and required install sequence on a Dell is (1) Install Windows (2) Install (motherboard) chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers such as the Dell sound drivers, video, ethernet, etc.

18 Posts

October 11th, 2009 02:00

Well, the beta, and the RTM have been out for quite some time, and I guess I'm surprised this wouldn't be listed somewhere.

Yes, that is precisely what is happening, the VGA mode -> whatever other mode once win7 starts.  Yes, clean install...   and I'm 99% sure the video card drivers are part of the base win7 install DVD...

ugh.

Thanks for the thoughts anyways ;)

18 Posts

November 25th, 2009 10:00

Just an FYI - the non-RTM/non-beta, actual retail edition still has the same issue with this.

I seriously can't be the only one experiencing this.

729 Posts

November 26th, 2009 08:00

What video card are you using?  I had no problem installing the 32bit version of Windows 7 on two Inspiron 531 computers.  One was a clean install and the other was an upgrade.  Both have dedicated video cards.

No Events found!