Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2012 12:00

Dell Inspiron N5030 - Access Recovery Partition after System Re-installation

Hi,

I bought my computer from Wal-Mart and it was a display laptop.  So the screen and most of the system were locked and have limited access. 

I bought a new Windows 7 Home premium (which is the same as the laptop) and did a OS installation, but did not remove any partitions.

Only now after a read from the posts in here that there is a recovery partition that can be accessed and restore the laptop to its factory setting.

I looked at the computer directory and the Recovery Partitions is still there and can be accessed, but I do not know how since there is no longer an Option in the Repair Computer the restoration using Dell Recovery.

Is there any way to access the Recovery Partition and use it to restore my laptop to its factory settings?

Thanks very much for your help!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 15:00

You should do a clean install of windows on a display model. Follow the directions under Custom install with formatting hard drive here-- windows.microsoft.com/.../Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

3 Posts

April 4th, 2012 10:00

Hii Mary,

I do not want a clean installs, what I would prefer was to use the Dell's Recovery Image which has the factory settings into the laptop.

3 Posts

April 13th, 2012 18:00

I also have the same puzzle. I didn't do a clean install and just want to use the recovery partition to reset the whole system back to factory default. But I don't know how. I looked up the start menu and could not find out how to do it.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 14th, 2012 15:00

Here are Dell's instructions for PC Restore: support.dell.com/.../document

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 15th, 2012 07:00

It appears you bought a Windows 7 Home Premium DVD and Product Key to do a Clean Install. You may use the product key on the Dells COA, at the base of the system or under the battery with the retail DVD. You will need to activate by phone. This means you are not wasting a license by using 2 on one computer. See my wiki a Clean Install of Windows 7 for a clean install.

As your model is a display system it may or may not have factory settings. 

To restore your computer to the original factory installation, follow these steps:

• Turn on the computer, after the Dell Logo appears and then disappears repeatedly press the key until you see the  Advanced Boot Options menu. 

• From the Advanced Boot Options highlight Repair Your Computer with the arrow keys and press . 

• Click 
       Next >   
     and login to your administrator account on the computer. The administrator account is the account created the first time the computer was turned on.
  • Click  Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe options  and follow the prompts provided. 

You may run into problems as you don't have the password to the administrator account if it was a display system but may be able to ask the person from the shop you bought it from. Try a blank password first however.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

Once I did the install, even thought I can see the Recovery drive, I could not access it thru the Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup, since I could not see it even if I went thru the steps suggested by Natakuc4.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 19th, 2012 14:00

I am not sure then, I have never had a display model. It is possible that they in the computer shop changed the partitions slightly and you have lost the ability to factory restore.

There is nothing under command prompt?

I would personally perform a clean install.

No Events found!