Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2013 07:00

Dell Latitude D630, Windows Vista to Windows 7

I bought a used Dell Latitude D630. The factory O/S was Windows Vista. The guy I purchased it from had installed Windows 7 Professional. I didn't get any O/S recovery or backup discs with it. I went to the Dell Support page to update my drivers and got a message saying my drivers couldn't be detected because the factory O/S is not installed.

My question(s): I don't know a lot about how drivers work. Is there a way to configure the system I have so it will accept Windows 7 as the O/S and search for the correct driver updates? It's a decent little laptop for what I'm using it for, although I'm pretty sure I need to add more RAM. I can't afford to buy a brand new laptop right now so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth putting the money into this one? 

January 2nd, 2013 07:00

First Thing, Some Drivers won't be capable for Windows 7 so I suggest looking online for Windows Vista or just somehow get a version of windows Vista and use it. If you do get Vista make sure you have a 64-Bit copy and the reason I'm saying that is because a 64-Bit copy will allow the max amount of ram which is 8GB www.crucial.com/.../Latitude+D630-upgrades.html thats the Link to buy more RAM.  Look here for Windows Vista

www.amazon.com/.../ref=nb_sb_noss

Now the Original OS was Vista 32-Bit which means it can only support 4GB. The good thing about 32-Bit is most of the drivers were meant for that OS so here is a link to the OS.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_15

I hope you figure it out and I wish you the best of luck.

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 09:00

Thanks for the advice. I bought a Dell Inspiron desktop (brand new) that came with Windows Vista 32-bit. I HATED Vista. I have XP on my other laptop, and so far I've really liked Windows 7 on this one. I hope I can get the issues resolved using Windows 7. If I can't then the next option would be to buy a laptop that has Windows 7 installed from the factory. Windows Vista really isn't an option, 32 or 64-bit.

4 Posts

February 26th, 2015 13:00

I have 3 dell latitude d630's Xp professional was ok, windows 2000 ran super fast on them, vista sucked, 7 if fast, and windows 8.1 is even faster on the dell latitude d630's. I'd recommend yes i used to have vista home premium then decided to upgrade to 8.1 runs so much faster, and smoother. Also you may want to upgrade the ram the max is 8GB for the dell latitude d630 and d620, i only have 3gb and runs window s8.1 really good. And no you dont need drivers windows 8.1 automatically sets the best drivers for everything. Good luck 

No Events found!