Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MC

December 30th, 2016 09:00

Dell Latitude E5470: windows pointer on the black screen

Hello to all,

I have a problem. I'm not sure it's a hardware problem but I found it on 40 new and just opened Dell E5470 (the model with finger sensor). The problem is on Windows 7 PRO. The Dell support team is not helping me even if I have bought the "professional support". I also called Microsoft support team and they replied me to call the Dell Support because the software problem...The Dell support told me to call Microsoft support because the harware problem...

The problem is the black screen with windows pointer; please take note that it is no blank screen: BLACK SCREEN and the cursors is the windows graphic pointer, no character cursor. I made many tests: factory restore, restore from the Dell ISO image downloaded from dell website. I didn't found a solution because even if I recovery or even if I restore, the problem reappears. When it appears, I can only do the configuration recovery; instead the safe start and all other ways after F8 don't work. I can only do, I repeat, the configuration recovery or factory image recovery. When the PC starts, I see the windows logo and after a while I see the black screen with the windows pointer and nothing else (and the login screen doesn't appear).

I work in a big company and all PCs & notebooks that we bought are Windows 7 PRO pre-installed (We cannot install windows 10 and other O.S.). When I install the notebook (please take note that I usually install hundreds of notebooks in the same way...); I confirm the language and the region (italian and Italy); I made an user "User" and after the login I disable the automatic updates and the power saver. I put the machine-name in our domain with the unique machine-name, I set the local administrator rights for the domain user the will use the PC and stop. After 2-3 hours if I reboot the notebook I'll see the windows screen "configuring windows features, xx% complete, do not turn off the computer" and after the reboot the black screen appears. The problem appears only after the windows feature screen notice... The last system recovery point set shows "language pack removal" and it is the same in all notebooks...I tried to unistall Dell's software, setup the BIOS, and many other actions that is too long to explain. Believe me: we tried many and many solutions without any results (I also tried to install the notebook without the domain but the problem appears).

Thanks to everybody. I hope to have explained in the right way and in the right forum.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 6th, 2017 11:00

January 9th, 2017 06:00

Hello Philip,

really many thanks for your reply. As I wrote, I already did it.

Isn't it the same I find here?

www.dell.com/.../W764

Thanks again

January 9th, 2017 06:00

Hello to everybody, I found that the installation from the original Microsoft's DVD is working fine (I made this test on 2 PCs). It is not a solution because I need the Key to activate Win7Pro, but it is a test to show that there is something wrong on the Dell's ISO images.

Thanks again

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 9th, 2017 07:00

Yes but check the .iso checksum match the ones I downloaded otherwise you likely have an incomplete download.

January 9th, 2017 09:00

Hello Philip,

of course the checksum is/was right.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 10th, 2017 03:00

Just checking.

Do you have the latest UEFI BIOS Update. One of the fixes is:

"Fixed Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise OS RS1 black screen issue if Device Guard and Credential Guard are enabled. "

Which may be related to the black screen you see in Windows 7?

January 10th, 2017 06:00

Yes...I got and updated. This was one of the 1st test we made.

Take note that on 2 PCs where I installed the original Microsoft Windows 7 PRO,they don't have any problems yet.

Because I read in the forums that many people got the same problem and that they found a solution connecting a 2nd monitor, I tried to connect it too, with or without the docking station. When black screen appears, I cannot do anything; I can only power off the PC or I can move the cursor on the black screen.

1 Message

February 13th, 2017 20:00

What you should do is to uninstall the language packs manually.

This is the disadvantage of the dell iso, originally install the system in Spanish and manually put it in English eliminating the French package, this by means of a tool called "vistalizator"

This is the only way I found to correct the problem, at the moment of logging in and only appears the cursor on the black screen.

Then install all available updates.

February 14th, 2017 00:00

Hi luistt-95,

I found with the Dell Support Team, another but simpliest and fastest solution.

1) Che in services if the "Windows Foundation Framework Driver User mode" is enable, if not enable it; started it and setup it to Automatic.

2) Run Windows update to download&install all updates.

Ciao!

No Events found!