Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 19th, 2010 16:00

Dell Precision 390 and Windows 7 64-bit Driver Support

We have a Dell Precision 390 and want to upgrade this to a Windows 7 64-bit operating system.  Several months ago I noticed driver support for Windows 7 64-bit for the Dell Precision 390 model but currently the driver and downloads site is not supporting any such drivers for Windows 7.  It seems the support has been withdrawn.  At best,  it supports only  Windows Vista 64-bit.  Can anyone elaborate on why there is no driver support for the Dell Precision 390 for the Windows 7 64-bit platform?

Tony

December 6th, 2012 15:00

I have a Dell Precision 390 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit loaded just fine and it's up and running.

It's been strongly suggested though, that you do a clean install.

So I wiped my HD (after backing up personal files). Don't just format your drive, I mean wipe it totally.

Automatic updates will install the drivers you need for any attached device or go visit the manufacturers for your drivers.

So in short, "Don't sweat it".

Go ahead and get that puppy going for a few more years.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 20th, 2010 07:00

Dell supports only the OS that was originally installed on your model. That doesn't mean you can't upgrade. If it can run vista 64 bit, it can run win 7. Test it by running the Windows Upgrade Advisor. That will let you know what hardware/software needs to be removed or changed to upgrade. Win 7 has many more drivers and you should not need Dell to supply any. The manufacturer's site for individual hardware should help if you need anything.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 20th, 2010 08:00

Windows Vista drivers work with Windows 7 in the same way that WINDOWS 2000 drivers worked for XP.

If there are not WIN7 specific drivers for your hardware try the Windows Vista drivers.

4 Posts

September 14th, 2012 08:00

Would this work for dell 390 32 bit if I used the vista 32bit drivers.  And would I use all the drivers or just the network ones that windows are telling me are requiring attention?  If it doesn't work, will it crash my computer?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 14th, 2012 08:00

I don't understand.  Go to www.dell.com/.../optiplex-390 and change the dropdown for the Operating System to Windows 7 32-bit and use those drivers.  Dells supports both 32-bit an 64-bit Windows 7 on these machines, so there is no reason to use Vista drivers or to think that they would crash your system.

4 Posts

September 14th, 2012 09:00

When I put precision 390 into the box, and then scroll to choose the windows version, it doesn't give me an option for windows 7

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 14th, 2012 10:00

Ha ha ... saw 390 and assumed Optiplex (since I have several dozen of those with W7x86) :)

In that case, you can use the Vista drivers or use the Windows 7 drivers directly from Broadcom, but since neither is tested by Dell on a Precision 390 with Windows 7, there is no guarantee it won't crash your system, but it is unlikely.

4 Posts

Thanks for the quick response.  Do I need to redo ALL the drivers - or just the network controller driver?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

If they worked and the devices seem to work ok, then you shouldn't have to redo them.

4 Posts

September 14th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for your help

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 14th, 2012 14:00

I would try to install them all anyway.

Several will tell you that Windows 7 already has a better driver so just end the setup for them.

For the Video get direct from ATI or nVidea. I have only ever had problems with Vista bluetooth drivers on Windows 7.

For the Audio you can get the one direct from Creative if you have a Creative Soundblaster. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 14th, 2012 14:00

I was under the impression he was talking about drivers HE has already installed.  If that is the case, there is probably no need to, but if we are talking about devices that have drivers available but show in Device Manager as being ok, then yes, I would also recommend updating those devices as well.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2015 09:00

I upgraded my 390 to  a ati radeon hd 5450 and a ssd and i plane on using it for 7 more years plus it runs windows 7 fine it also runs windows 10

No Events found!