Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2017 08:00

Dell Recovery and Restore (Windows 10) Protection Error

Hi,

I have Alienware Aurora R5 (Windows 10) system. Something went wrong with windows update and I could not boot Windows.

Steps taken:

1) I followed the following link to download the software:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/KeyInCloud

2) I installed it in my different Windows7 laptop. After that I ran it to create Dell Recovery and Restore on a 8GB USB pen drive.

3) I followed these instructions to boot from this USB drive: (Step 2)

www.dell.com/.../how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-recovery--restore-usb-drive

4) After booting I get this error:

Protection Error: The key that you are using is either not entitled for this PC or has been modified. Please recreate the key and use it for the designated PC.

I am not sure what key it is talking about. I made sure the Service Tag used to download the software was correct.

Did anyone encounter this error before? 

- Krishna

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

August 28th, 2017 16:00

Did the system ship with 10, I am assuming it did but just wanted to verify. And when you went to run the Restore did you disable Secure Boot in the BIOS? Lastly, if you did, and it still isn't working it might be worth trying to re-download it. Let me know if this worked

Also, if you're just looking to reinstall 10 (starting over and have everything backed up) another option as long as the system was activated is to just download the Win10 ISO from Microsoft directly and skip entering the key (as long as the system was activated previously it will reactivate). Please note this last option is a bit more involved since you will need to install drivers/software etc directly from Dell, and I don't recommend it if you're looking to keep the original factory setup.  

Best regards,

Brad

November 18th, 2017 07:00

I am also having this problem.  I also made sure to use the service tag number on the underside of the laptop.  Why is this so difficult to do?  I tried using the DVD that was shipped with the laptop and I tried creating this Dell Recovery USB stick.  Others are having similar issues and no one posts a solution that actually works.

November 18th, 2017 07:00

Brad, I tried all of these steps and it is still not working.  I am getting this error:

Protection Error: The key that you are using is either not entitled for this PC or has been modified. Please recreate the key and use it for the designated PC.

How is it that I use the service tag number and it still says that the PC is not entitled to that key??

I followed the instructions found here:

www.dell.com/.../how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-recovery--restore-usb-drive

2 Posts

March 8th, 2019 19:00

I am in the same situation, astonished that over a year later there has not been another reply.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 12th, 2019 06:00

1) A Dell computer that was shipped with Windows does not need to be activated, and thus doesn't care about the validity of the key it carries.
2) In the odd case where #1 isn't true, Dell provides actual license keys unique to each machine
3) Therefore, any computer trying to activate with Dell factory-integrated SLP  is, in all likelihood, not a Dell computer, and thus not authorized to use the Dell computer's license.

The type of key / method they use is called SLP, or System Locked Pre-Installation

Here are a few reasons why you might see activation error 0xC004F050:

• You entered a product key that can't be used to activate Windows. Enter a different valid Windows 10 product key or buy a new product key. For more info, see Activation in Windows 10.
  • You upgraded to Windows 10, but the activation servers were busy. If

Here are a few reasons why you might see activation error 0xC004F050:

• You entered a product key that can't be used to activate Windows. Enter a different valid Windows 10 product key or buy a new product key. For more info, see Activation in Windows 10.
    • You upgraded to Windows 10, but the activation servers were busy. If you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will be automatically activated, or you can select Activate and try again.
    • You upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, but Windows 10 isn't activated after a reinstall. Windows 10 should automatically activate unless you made significant hardware changes (such as replacing the motherboard).
    • For additional troubleshooting steps, please see Get help with Windows activation errors.
    you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will be automatically activated, or you can select Activate and try again.
  • You upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, but Windows 10 isn't activated after a reinstall. Windows 10 should automatically activate unless you made significant hardware changes (such as replacing the motherboard).
  • For additional troubleshooting steps, please see Get help with Windows activation errors.

1 Message

September 7th, 2020 11:00

I just attempted to go through the knowledge base instructions for "How to create and use the Dell Recovery & Restore USB drive" to factory reset my daughter's Inspiron 15 5567.   I ended up in the same situation others are describing here with an error describing:

"Protection Error..."

"The Key that you are using is either not entitled for this PC or has been modified.  Please recreate the key and use it for the designated PC.

Since I created the key with the service tag on the bottom of my PC downloaded from the website and used the dell "direct key creator", I assume there must be some kind of validation problem with the generated key for my windows install.  

Has anyone managed to reinstall windows using this process successfully?  I'd hope someone from Dell can shed some light on the key installation process and how to fix it for windows 10.

1 Message

November 19th, 2020 08:00

I am having the same issue. I did a factory reset of Windows 10 and am stuck in a reboot loop. I installed the tool using my computer's service tag number and got a the key that you are using is either not entitled for this pc or has been modified message. Double checked the service tag number, re-downloaded the repair tool, tried it again and got the same message.

I also tried downloading Win10 ISO from Microsoft to repair or reinstall windows. The repair gave me a this computer cannot be repaired error. When I tried to re-install Windows 10 it wouldn't let me it said Windows cannot be installed on any of the partitions.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2020 11:00

I am also having this problem.  I also made sure to use the service tag number on the underside of the laptop.  Why is this so difficult to do?  I tried using the DVD that was shipped with the laptop 

and I tried creating this Dell Recovery USB stick.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2021 03:00

Same error here with Windows 8.

1. I created with my service tag from the Inspirion 5537 the keyincloud.zip (it takes several times to get a complete and correct ZIP-file) and got the 1.6.3 directory in there.

2. I run the setup on a windows pc.

3. I run the Direct Key creator and created the USB stick.

4. Then I deactivated the secure boot option at the Inspirion.

5. I started the Inspirion from the USB stick and the Recovery & Restore came up.

6. Protection Error...

2 Posts

May 19th, 2021 04:00

No clues? I am at my wit's end.

Carsten

1 Message

May 29th, 2021 04:00

You should be able to use either the Dell provided recovery media or the Media Creation Tool media for Windows 10 to reinstall Windows 10 particularly on your system or device.  Anything can work in order to reinstall Windows 10.

When you did the free upgrade to Windows 10, there was a digital entitlement with that upgrade for your device.  more info here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation)

@Sarah

2 Posts

June 5th, 2021 07:00

Thank you for sharing your information with us

August 29th, 2022 20:00

I too am having the same problem.  I downloaded the key five times already, but I am still running into the same issue,. Any advice would most appreciated 

1 Message

September 18th, 2023 23:48

So I had this problem and my solution was simple. 
I used to QR to get the Service Tag. This gives you the value in lower case and validates okay so you can download the Dell Recovery & Restore installation but the Dell Recovery and Restore USB drive fails with the Protection error. 
I then used the Service Tag as it is on the back of the laptop, which is in upper case to create a new Dell Recovery & Restore installation . I built the Dell Recovery and Restore USB drive, ran it and it worked fine. 

1 Message

October 8th, 2023 20:01

Changing to upper case fixed the problem for me, too. Thanks for the insight.

No Events found!