Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 16:00

Dell Reinstallation CD/Product Key...

Hello,

I'm in the process of activating windows on my Dell PC... I'm using the installation CD that came with it... Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 2... However, I can't find my product activation key that came with it. The sticker that was once on my PC had come off over time and I do not have my paperwork that came with the PC anymore as well. The reason that I had to use the CD is because I had to totally replace the hard drive... So, there is no chance of retrieving any product key info from there... My question is if there is any way that I can request another product key from Dell or what other options do I have. I have tried several Key generators... However, they were unsuccessful... Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your time in reading this...

2.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 16:00

Hello ECZ,

In case you are facing the same issue: 

• Are you using a Dell OEM disk? Re-installing Windows from a Dell OEM disk would never ask for the product key. 
  • How exactly are you try to re-install windows? Please refer to this article on how to manually install Windows XP
  • Once the product key is lost, we cannot provide another copy because Dell does not retain any copy of it. 
  • In case you do not have the Dell OEM disks for Windows XP Home Edition, please refer this article on Requesting a Microsoft Windows Reinstallation CD/DVD from Dell

Hope this helps!

No Events found!