Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2013 15:00

Dell Studio 540 Windows 7 X64 install

G'day, 

I recently purchased a Dell Studio 540 second hand, privately.  I am trying to install Windows 7 64 bit, for which I have a license, but have lost the install media.  There was no install media with the Dell.  I've downloaded an ISO from digital river, burned the DVD, fired up the install on the PC.  But it is asking for a CD driver and won't proceed to install windows.

Where can I find this driver?  I have searched on the downloads section for the service tag and nothing there that seems to fit the bill.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 10:00

99/100 times there is no such driver.  That message indicates that your media is bad ... try the download again, checking the hash or using a download manager to ensure the integrity of the download; try using different software, blank DVD's, burners to create the DVD ... you could also try installing via USB after re-downloading the ISO.  Once successful with this DVD, you will need to activate over the phone with Microsoft (not Dell).

Or you can request an actual Dell installation DVD from here (US only):

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 1st, 2013 17:00

I installed Windows 7 64-bit on a 540s and I don't remember problems, but I suggest you download the Intel Chipset Installation Utility in zip format.

Extract the files to a flash drive, and then point the Windows installer to them.

I believe both the audio and network are Realtek, the drivers for which can be downloaded from their site.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 13:00

It was bad media as theflash1932 suggested - after redownloading all is now good.

No Events found!