Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2009 12:00

Dell Tech Support is misinformed about Windows 7... DON'T CALL THEM

On Oct 15, a Dell support person told me that I needed to upgrade my computer to Windows 7, due to video issues I was having with World of Warcraft, and I agreed to purchase it. He sent me the Ultimate full (non-upgrade) version ($320) instead of what he should have sent which is the Home Premium upgrade version ($120). I discovered his mistake 23 days after it shipped, so even though he sent me the wrong software, Dell will not let me return the software. (Dell has a 21 day return policy which they don't bother to tell you until you try to return something.) I spent over 2 hours on the phone with both customer service and tech support, and spoke to about a dozen different people (whose names are excluded to comply with Dell's terms of use policy). The worst was the last person I talked to (name excluded), who not only was curt and impolite, but would not even discuss the situation with me.

The uninformed tech support team claimed that the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade will not run on Dell's XPS computer (which is running XP) because "you can't upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7." And so won't refund the money. One of the mangers was knowledgable and willing to discuss reasonably (name withheld) but I am afraid he was the exception. (To be clear, the box is unopened.)

Please refer to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx to see that "All Windows XP and Windows Vista editions qualify for a Windows 7 upgrade." I spent 2 hours on the phone. Most of the agents seemed to be reading from a script, and refused to even take the time to look at the Microsoft website to correct their misinformation.

Dell removed this post once because I mentioned names in the first post - very reasonable. However, Dell "reserves the right, but undertakes no duty, to block, edit or remove any content that [they] determine to be in violation of these Terms of Use or otherwise in [their] sole discretion" [emphasis mine]. I hope that they leave this one up, because it is important that customers know that you can upgrade from XP to Windows 7 (Although you need to do a fresh install, the less expensive upgrade version works perfectly well.). The savings is significant: Windows 7 Home Premium sells for $200 on the Dell website, but Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade sells for only $120, a savings of $80. Windows 7 Professional sells for $300, but Windows 7 Professional Upgrade sells for $200, a savings of $100. Windows 7 Ultimate sells for $320, but Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade sells for $220, a savings of $100. I don't know how Dell can defend or justify selling the non-upgrade version to people with Windows XP.

What does Windows 7 Professional have that Windows Home Premium not have? It will run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode, connect to company networks easily and more securely with Domain Join, and, in addition to full-system Backup and Restore found in all editions, you can back up to a home or business network. It does not run games or other multimedia any faster.

What does Windows 7 Ultimate have that Windows Home Premium not have? All of the above benefits of Windows 7 Professional, and also it will help protect data on your PC and portable storage devices against loss or theft with BitLocker, and work in the language of your choice and switch between any of 35 languages. Again, this is no benefit to gamers such as myself.

Dell has an unadvertised "unresolved issues" page to which I have made an appeal, but if that fails, I am planning to return my computer to Dell's corporate office address. Maybe one of their uncaring execs can take it home to their kids:

Dell Corporate Headquarters
Dell Inc.
One Dell Way
Round Rock, Texas 78682

Submitted with respect and for the sake of truth.

12.7K Posts

November 18th, 2009 19:00

If you purchased using a credit card, you can dispute the charges with your credit card company, this will force Dell to deal with your issue.

November 19th, 2009 13:00

Update: On Wednesday I got a phone call from Dell Tech Support telling my that they had approved the return of my unneccessarily expensive Windows 7 Ultimate Full Version software. The same tech support person mentioned in first note, the knowledgeable one, was the caller. He said that I would receive an email shortly. One hour later, he called back and said that the dollar amount of my return was too high, that I would have to call XPS Customer Care. He assured me that his note in my file would make it easy for me to return it. He assured me that anyone in XPS Customer Care would gladly arrange for the return.

I called Dell XPS Customer Care, and the first person I talked to refused to even consider giving me a refund, but after insisting on talking to a manager, I did finally reach one. It took more than 30 minutes to first convince him to listen to what I was saying, rather than repeating, "I am sorry, sir, but we will not be able to offer you a refund," then to convince him that it was wrong for me to pay $320 for software for my XPS computer when the $120 software would work just fine. He told me to call sales, order Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, then call back, and anyone in XPS Customer Care would gladly arrange for the return. OF COURSE I DIDN'T BELIEVE HIM. However, very much to his credit, he took the time to arrange a 3 way call, listened in while I ordered Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, then TO MY AMAZEMENT he actually did as he promised: he gave me a return authorization number.

My phone has a timer on it: this call took 1 hour and 20 minutes, plus exposed me to a lot of frustration, pain, and hurt. I now realize that I have no trust whatsoever that what I am told by one person at Dell tech support or Dell XPS Customer Care will be honored by the next person I talk to.

12.7K Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

Sounds like your pain and suffering has paid off.

Crossing fingers now....

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 18:00

I understand. I suddenly had an "Activation expired" or similar message. I purchased my Office 2007 program, and have used it since. I called Dell, and the "expert" suggested I upgrade to Win 2007. I already had Win 2007 here ready to upgrade, so did that. Installed Office 2007 again, and cannot use it. Cannot get my email. Exchange Server not available. Or something similar.

I STILL have not resolved the problem and I cannot get my email. Neither can I use Excel or Word. And I OWN the program. It took me hours to find a phone number for MS, and then find out they are not available on the weekend!

Oh...And when I upgraded, I lost the ability to stop the touchpad, and when I least expect it my typing goes all over the screen.

No Events found!