Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2011 07:00

Dell factory image restore does NOT work

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 560 desk top running windows 7 home premium 64-bit os.

I would like to restore it back to its original factory settings, but when I

1: press F8 several times

2: the screen appears with repair your comuter

3: I select reair your computer using choose=enter

4: just takes me back to windows

This goes on and on and on. I have removed all external periphals, disconecting my broadband, uplugged speakers and mic. I have cleaned the disc, I have completely shut the pc down for 15-30 mins and retried. I have tried system restore, and not even that works.I have followed ALL instructions here regarding dell image factory restore and still the problem persists. I AM NOT phoning dell so they can charge me £89.00 for a problem with there own system.

All I want to do is restore the system back to its original factory settings with only the programs it came with, simple as that. But for what ever reason I am completely at a lost as nothing seems to work no matter what i try.

Can someone/anyone/maybe even a dell representative PLEASE HELP me resolve this issue.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 30th, 2011 09:00

Did your PC come with Windows 7 originally or was it "upgraded"?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

January 30th, 2011 10:00

Hi, Do you have dell data safe on your system, if not, you can get it HERE.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

January 31st, 2011 01:00

Not an upgrade>All I want to do is to restore back to original factory settings

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 29th, 2011 13:00

Perhaps you did not select Advanced Options. Also, do not press Enter until you read everything. You have to use the arrow keys to highlight the correct choice first and then press Enter or else it just boots into windows. Read the directions HERE.

If you made recovery disk or windows system repair disk in Backup and Restore you can boot to that to get to the Advanced Options menu. You can also make a windows system repair disk now. It makes getting to the repair option easier. After making the disk leave it in the cd/dvd drive and reboot. You press F12 by tapping it in even taps as soon as you restart, choose boot to cd/dvd and follow the directions to get to the repair menu.

322 Posts

March 29th, 2011 13:00

Hello moosie19722

If your computer will boot into windows, check that your recovery partition is the

second partition on your disk. Then search for and download a file called:

setautofailover.cmd          ( this is a cmd script )     and install it into your

c:\windows\system32 directory. Then from an admin cmd prompt run

bcdboot  c:\windows                           ( press enter )

setautofailover /target d: /partition 2 /disk 0           ( press enter )

This should rebuild all the BCD files for your system and set the recovery

partition to work for you.

Hope this helps, let me know.

P.S.  If anyone wish to get setautofailover.cmd, go HERE and look at post

#16 by Ben_Mott  look for the double dotted lines where it says this is the script

for setautofailover.cmd and copy down to EOF above a second set of dotted

lines and paste into notepad and name it with "setautofailover.cmd" this will save

you from d/l  WAIK.

Tom

No Events found!