Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2007 19:00

Dell folder opens at start up?

Can you tell me why, when starting my computer, I get a folder that opens?  The folder name is Dell and the folders inside it are "Launcher" and "Media Experience."  This computer is not quite a month old yet, but it just started doing this the other day.

Thanks,
Pam

Dell Inspiron 530
Windows XP

966 Posts

October 23rd, 2007 20:00

This could be a virus,spyware issue,have you run any scans.

Right click on folder>properties,whats the path.Is it System 32,if it is I would suspect a virus.Aslo in properties check advance information.

Try start>run>msconfig>start up tab>and disable it.

2.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2007 20:00

Start/Run and type in
msconfig
OK
Startup Tab

Look for
memcard.exe (which comes with software for a Dell AIO Printer)
Remove the check at it.
Apply
Reboot

When you reboot you will get a message saying you have started in "Selective Startup"  Click "Don`t show this message again" then OK

This will not do any harm it will just stop it running every time you boot up.

6 Posts

October 25th, 2007 17:00

I did as you suggested, dunedin, but there wasn't anything listed there named "memcard."  There was one named "MediaExp\DMXLauncher.exe" which I removed the check from.  From there, I followed your directions to a 'T' but I continue to get that Dell folder every time I start my computer.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Pam

P.S.  The path to the folder that opens is:  C\Program Files\Dell

6 Posts

October 25th, 2007 19:00

Thanks again.  I think I found the culprit!  It was the Data Safe Online Scheduler from Dell.  Now that I think of it, I just signed up for my free year of that and the next day, that pesky folder opened up when I started my computer.  Why it says what it does, I'll never know, but at least it won't bug me every time I start up.  I wonder if it'll automatically do an online backup now, though.  I set it to do a backup every Friday.  I guess tomorrow will tell all.

Thanks so much for the links you gave, too.  They were very helpful.
Pam

2.7K Posts

October 25th, 2007 19:00

That certainly sounds like the culprit. 

Are you sure you clicked "Apply" and on reboot did not return to "Normal" startup.  You have to allow the "Selective" startup otherwise whatever you unchecked will be re-checked.

Check all your entries in Msconfig and disable everything which is not needed to run at startup.  You should not have many entries.  I have only got 4
Start/Run and type in
msconfig
OK
Startup Tab
Keep the page open then go to one of the links below. They will tell you what all the entries are and whether you can disable them or not. They will also identify any malware. 

Read the Key at top of page. Use the Search box to check all your entries

If that does not fix it here are other places to look for startup items.  You can remove anything from here, all it will do is stop the app from starting every time you boot up

1) Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder

2) Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder

2.7K Posts

October 25th, 2007 21:00

Pam_PJ wrote:
 I wonder if it'll automatically do an online backup now, though.  I set it to do a backup every Friday.  I guess tomorrow will tell all.

Thanks so much for the links you gave, too.  They were very helpful.
Pam

It probably won`t.

You will either have to put up with the problem or re-enable it before you shut down every Thursday night.  Then disable it on Friday nights

2 Posts

November 19th, 2007 16:00

I am having the same problem with the Dell folder opening at start up, very annoying. I followed the instructions provided with no luck. I will not be using the  Data Safe Online Backup, thus I do not have access to the Data Safe Online Scheduler from Dell.

Any suggestions on how I can prevent the folder from opening every time my computer stops. If I can not I will be removing the Dell Support Center software. This is too annoying...

Thanks any assistance is greatly appreciated.

S

2.7K Posts

November 19th, 2007 17:00

2 Posts

November 20th, 2007 13:00

Thank you, I found the answer on http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_winxp posted on Nov. 15th. The new update for Dell Support Center 2. Following the instructions I uninstalled the old version and installed the new version. I guess a bug in the program bugged a lot of us.

Thanks for your help. I cleaned up what runs when my computer starts following the directions given, so it starts quicker now. That's nice.  :>)

S.
No Events found!