Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2007 13:00

Dell shipped a computer that couldn't stream yahoo music jukebox via WMP. Here is the fix.

Symptoms:
Yahoo music jukebox hangs on connect.
Yahoo messenger hangs on attempting to stream music via radio plugin
launchcast.yahoo.com music player hangs on attempting to connect

I had all of these issues straight out of the box last week for my inspiron 1520.
Dell tech support was unable to resolve the issue.  All the common fixes like "disable audio enhancements" didnt work.

The work around found after litteraly dozens of hours of digging:
Goto "Users/%Accountname%/AppData/Local/Microsoft/

In that folder is a folder called "Windows Media"
Rename "Windows Media" to something else.  Perhaps "Old Windows Media"

Start yahoo music jukebox stream music to your hearts desire... it is that simple.  Don't ask me what is in that folder that causes the problem.  Dont ask me if there are side effects.  But making that folder "Go away" makes yahoo music jukebox work on a dell factory shipped vista install.

Spread the word to yahoo music forums.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2007 14:00

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I will have to look at that folder and see if there is a specfic file that can be removed or edited to correct the symptoms.

4.4K Posts

December 20th, 2007 20:00

That scenario is documented on this site under Item 1.

Taken from that web page:  YME = Yahoo Music Engine

1. Streamed songs won't play.

Most likely Windows Media Player is corrupt in one form or another. First of all try to install Windows Media Player again. Do not uninstall/rollback/force remove first, rather just install it over an existing installation. Before starting the installation make sure both YahooMusicEngine.exe and wmplayer.exe are not listed in Task Manager.

There are other issues document with YME and how to fix them on that site.

10 Posts

December 20th, 2007 22:00

I did that entire list on the YME troubleshooting website: it didnt fix the problem.  I did everything mentioned on the YME forums: it didnt fix the problem. I did everything dell asked me to: it didnt fix the problem. I messed with this off and on everyday since Thursday.  Eventually after the 300th variant of searching this on google, I ran across an obscure reply, linking to an obscure blog, linking to a post on msdn forums to problem not specifically the same but similiar from a guy with MSFT by his name, saying "try renaming the above folder". 

Link:

ZachD [MSFT]:
If you rename the "Windows Media" folder at:
%appdata%\local\
microsoft
, does online radio then work?

Oh and to the dell guy.  I hope you do get something out of this lead.  My 1520 purchase has been stellar except for this not streaming yahoo out of the box thing.

I am like "no way" but the guy has MSFT by his name, so I try it.  And bam my streaming yahoo music is back!

No Events found!